theories of arcana 101

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
sciborg2's picture
Factol
theories of arcana 101

Recently I've been thinking about the justification of Vancian spellcasting - not whether its a good system or not but rather how does it fit in ideas of magic/ritual from RL cultures. The break down I have so far is:

Memory - The Mind. A spell in memory anchors magical essence in the mind. This is because magic is somewhere between material and abstract, what Morrison calls "words that are not just names for things but are things". Memory is one of the few places such a substance could be held. Memory is also the picture of the world that the caster holds in his mind, thus the bridge between material and mental.

Now, magic needs to be taken from this mental house into the world. This translation process can involve the following:

Verbal - The Logos. This translation process cannot always just be verbal, though the sacred nature of language plays a part. Thus although not every spell has a verbal component, its important to realize that there words have magical significance. Whether this is the power of poem or prayer, or the Last Word, truenaming, and power words there is more than enough in terms of examples.

Somatic - The Dance. Part of the translation can be the ritual movement that seeks to touch the sacred. Think sign language as well as rain dances and even the spastic movements of a possessed oracle. Many faiths around the world use dance to attune the mind to the sacred.

Material - The Sacrifice. The offering of material carries an incredible weight, both is a "scientific" notion of matter to energy conversion as well as the global tradition of giving over something of value to entreat the sacred. The blood of the bull baptizes the followers of Mithras. The sacrifice allows Indra and his fellows to climb to Heaven. The daughter is killed in the name of fair winds.

now there's just that pesky problem with sorcerers, magic items, and divine casters.

Health Resources: Register family with 911 services, so providers will have info prior to emergency/disaster. Also mental health info & hotlines, articles, treatment assistance options, prescription assistance, special needs registries, legal aid, and more!

Eldan's picture
Namer
theories of arcana 101

Expanding on that, a sorcerer would be someone who does not draw magic from the mental, but from his own blood, i.e. ancestors. Now, of course, it's not a typical ancestral spirit cult, that's what spirit shamans are for. Instead, Sorcerers are attuned to the magical world. As someone once put it, magic is taking your will, and enforce it upon the physical world. Therefore, a sorcerer is someone who inherited a will strong enough to do just that. They do not need to commit spells to memory, instead, they want them to happen, go through the necessary rituals, sacrifices and say the right words, and make stuff happen.

Squaff's picture
Namer
theories of arcana 101

Here is posible explanation for magical items: in ancient egypt, as part of buryal rites, they placed magical talismans called "ushabti" with body of deacesed. Ushabti purpose was to act as form of simulacra in the afterlife and to step in place of their owner if any hard work is to be done.

So I guess that crafting magical item would be somewhat similar to ushabti, such items would be actualy symbolical simulacrum (surogate) of wizard in proces of casting certain spell.
Magical items should actualy yell to whatever forces that gowern magic: "Look at me, I am my master an I am remembering spell even if I don't have mind, I am speaking words of power even if I dont't have voice, I dance even if I don't move, and my body is sacrifice you require."

I guess that forces that gowern magic do not care how spell is being cast as long the requirements are fullfiled either by living person or inanimate object.

One-eyed, one-horned, flying, purple people eater says: "Monsters are nature's way for keeping XPs fresh."

Jem
Jem's picture
Factor
theories of arcana 101

Material components and magical items both have a similar reasoning, in fact: the Law of Similarity, which says that like is connected to like. This is one of the fundamental psychological principles underlying practices of magic in the real world. A magician sprinkles water on the forehead of a baby because this is similar to the process of spiritual cleansing that he intends. (Material component.) He manipulates a mannikin in the shape of a person, bound around with wire, because he intends to hinder that person. (Focus component.) He touches his body at points in the shape of a cross, because the cross is symbolic of his lord's authority, especially to the symbol-affected demon he seeks to exorcise. (Somatic component.)

The Laws of Similarity, Sympathy, and Contagion all have to do with symbolic connections, and form the basis of most real-world magical traditions, whether mystico-religious or wholly constructed -- and to believers, the difference is usually nil. Historically, one religion's blasphemous sorcery, was for the most part another religion's... religion. Voodoun is engages in all manner of spells and rites, but is an honest religion to its practitioners. Perfectly devout Christians shell out major bucks for bottles of holy water or seek magical healing at the end of a pilgrimage. A Shinto ofuda is a basic sort of amulet, a magical device, but it's also religious paraphernalia, a holy symbol. In RL cultures, magic is religion, and vice versa. Just to give one example relevant to D&D, a "ghost shirt" is a common magical item made by various cultures who had to deal with guns -- the name come from the Lakota version. You could call them a casting of Protection from Arrows, or magic armor with the Arrow Deflection ability. To the Lakota, they were made through divine power.

Not that they worked... but that's divinity in the real world for you.

-----

A version of this line of thought causes me to comment on your mention of sacrifices. This is indeed a particularly powerful notion; typically, the sacrifice is either propitiatory ("bad spirit, please take this little bit and be satisfied instead of tormenting us") or placatory ("sorry I sinned, here, please this as a token of my apology"), or in offering ("I've got something here for you, I'll remove it from the material world and send it to the spirit world for you to have, now could you please do me a favor?"). (Socially, a big sacrifice also told all the other humans around that the sacrificer is really sodding rich. A hecatomb is a hundred head of cattle. That's nothing to sneeze at, even today, and back in Greek days it was a fortune.) The notion of sacrifice as the basis for a religion always struck me as a useful understanding of Erythnul, an otherwise fairly nonsensical sort of deity. The concept is also easily transferrable to any other evil deity, with sacrifices ranging from personal scourging of the flesh to good old-fashioned blood-on-the-altar human sacrifices. Followers would understand sacrifice as the holy medium of communication between man and god.

Jem
Jem's picture
Factor
theories of arcana 101

By the way, if you're interested in exploring this topic, let me recommend a book called Authentic Thaumaturgy, which explores such issues. (Despite being sold by Steve Jackson Games, the book is systemless, and discusses the underpinnings of RL magical theories, and how they relate to gaming and fiction.)

Zimrazim's picture
Factol
theories of arcana 101

'Jem' wrote:
A version of this line of thought causes me to comment on your mention of sacrifices. This is indeed a particularly powerful notion; typically, the sacrifice is either propitiatory ("bad spirit, please take this little bit and be satisfied instead of tormenting us") or placatory ("sorry I sinned, here, please this as a token of my apology"), or in offering ("I've got something here for you, I'll remove it from the material world and send it to the spirit world for you to have, now could you please do me a favor?").

Another example to add here: The ancient Romans would often make a vow -- "If you do this for me, then I will give you something (create an altar, hold ritual games, sacrifice livestock)." The idea with vows is that payment is only rendered (to the gods) after the deity does something that the person wants.

BoGr Guide to Missile Combat:
1) Equip a bow or crossbow.
2) Roll a natural 1 on d20.
3) ?????
4) Profit!

Rhys's picture
factotums
theories of arcana 101

I thought that this writing was particularly awesome about the early days of magic:
/forum
My congratulations to the author.

sciborg2's picture
Factol
theories of arcana 101

that was good. creepy, but good....

Health Resources: Register family with 911 services, so providers will have info prior to emergency/disaster. Also mental health info & hotlines, articles, treatment assistance options, prescription assistance, special needs registries, legal aid, and more!

Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.