Planning Thread: Issue 1 - Qrt 1, 2012

47 posts / 0 new
Last post
Clueless's picture
Webmonkey
Planning Thread: Issue 1 - Qrt 1, 2012

Quarter 1, 2012

This is a spoiler filled thread. Be warned if you wish to remain surprised on release.

Subjects that can / should come up in this thread include:

1) Authors requesting more information about the progress of their articles.
2) Artists coordinating details on pieces or collaborating with each other on which piece to do.
2) Editors discussing which sets of articles to make use of for which issue. (And authors making cases to include theirs.)
3) General coordination on articles with co-writers or multiple parts. (Actual writing to occur on other threads please!)

And any other basic planning that goes with this issue.

This is not the right location to hack out details re: the fanzine as a whole, we want to avoid getting distracted by anything not directly related to planning for this issue. So please look for a better thread or make a new thread. We want to hear from you we just need to keep the conversation here on task if we're going to make our deadline.

Work in and Edited by: Dec 1st
Art in and Layout by: Dec 15th

GOAL FOR THIS QUARTER

Work out our workflow. Authors get a ton of articles in so we have a backlog, and try to locate artists for your articles as you do. That will keep our layout team from getting swamped by articles sans art as the due date approaches.

sciborg2's picture
Factol
Re: Planning Thread: Issue 1 - Qrt 1, 2012

Looking over our options at the outset, and NOT locking into anything, we have some good article potential for the first issue:

1. There are enough planar renovation threads to choose from. I'd go with Limbo since it is a hot topic.
2. Jem said we could include the Hedge Witch class.
3. Anerta's suggestion about music and Planescape
4. Kobold Avenger said we could use his races and Sigil material
5. We have a ton of material in the Alternate Multiverse's thread, and NPCs for this meta-setting.
6. Anerta already did some conversions to PF

So there's a good amount of material right there. I'd like to have a balance between drawing up material from the forums and developing completely new stuff, but I also realize given time constraints there might not always be a lot of article submissions.

Health Resources: Register family with 911 services, so providers will have info prior to emergency/disaster. Also mental health info & hotlines, articles, treatment assistance options, prescription assistance, special needs registries, legal aid, and more!

atomicb's picture
Namer

sciborg2 wrote:
So there's a good amount of material right there. I'd like to have a balance between drawing up material from the forums and developing completely new stuff, but I also realize given time constraints there might not always be a lot of article submissions.

It seems like turning forum material into cohesive articles could be a workload on par with writing something completely original (which isn't to say we shouldn't do it). How do you imagine drawing from the forums as working in practice?

sciborg2's picture
Factol

Well, some of stuff like Jem's Hedgewitch or one of the planar locations just needs author permission and maybe some editing to be in line with the style guide.

Other stuff, such as planar renovations, would be utilizing material but setting it into a cohesive piece. The advantage is not having to come up with all of the material, but the actually representation in the zine would be have be written in a new article as I see it.

Part of the reason for drawing on the forums is showcasing the community we have here, part of it is to help ensure there is always enough material to fill the issues.

Health Resources: Register family with 911 services, so providers will have info prior to emergency/disaster. Also mental health info & hotlines, articles, treatment assistance options, prescription assistance, special needs registries, legal aid, and more!

sciborg2's picture
Factol

To get discussion going, here's what I think the first issue *could* have in its pages. Definitely disagree, provide feedback, etc.

Feature: Right now I'm thinking "Killing the Lady of Pain", "Walking the Parallel Multiverses", or the planar renovation of Limbo. The first I think would make the biggest splash.

1. Conversion - because it is useful for people playing right now.

2. Something Mechanical, possibly a new class or prestige class - useful to players even if they aren't playing Planescape.

3. Location - preferably one that can be inserted into 4e, PSCS, or Pathfinder planar games. Though there is always the danger of having something too watered down in flavor if it wants to be liked by every cosmology.

4. NPC - A useful guy for DMs to use.

5. Campaign Spotlight - I think it is important to show how people are running campaigns utilizing the planes.

6. Organization - Details about an old or new sect/faction, cult, corporation, or conspiracy.

7. DM Help - Setting the mood or RPing with immortal uber gods or whatever.

8. Fleshing out some culture, race, or religion on the planes.

9. Reviews: A book, an album, a game that people with interests in PS might enjoy.

Anetra's picture
Namer

Do we want everything in the issue to tie into each other and be related? If we do Killing the Lady of Pain, it would seem natural for the issue to focus on Sigil.

As for classes and prestige classes, perhaps we should take the prestige classes in the PSCS and update/convert them to Pathfinder / 4e? At the moment, they're all sort of a weird jumble of 3.0 and 3.5. I guess it's technically a "conversion," but it's a conversion of something mechanical, and I feel like the prestige classes in the PSCS were some solid ideas regardless.

Campaign spotlight is a cool idea but this seems like it has the most danger of becoming a limited resource. How many people are currently running games? I feel like in 4 months when we're starting to work on the next issue, it'll all be the same games that are going on.

Then again, there's a fair number of Planescape games on Obsidian Portal. Loki, if he's around, probably knows more about what's currently running and what's dead/old on that site. But featuring games that are on Obsidian Portal seems like the best/easiest way to handle this.

sciborg2's picture
Factol

I figured for Campaign Spotlight we'd basically have someone talk about the campaign they ran, some interesting moments the players had (like when Shemmy's group had to deal with the Blind Clockmaker), and maybe some hurdles they had to get around.

I was thinking GMs might draw from the ideas and extrapolate them into their own planar adventures.

It's something I'd like to see but yeah, I'm iffy about it too.

Anetra's picture
Namer

If we're okay with featuring campaigns that have concluded, that makes it a little easier, I think.

sciborg2's picture
Factol

Quote:
"Do we want everything in the issue to tie into each other and be related? If we do Killing the Lady of Pain, it would seem natural for the issue to focus on Sigil."

I think anything to do with trying to kill the Lady will take place outside of Sigil as much as in it.

Still, I like the idea of a centralizing theme to each issue. Perhaps the first one should be planar metropoli over just Sigil?

At the same time, would a central theme make things too confining? Not sure myself..

Anetra's picture
Namer

sciborg2 wrote:
I think anything to do with trying to kill the Lady will take place outside of Sigil as much as in it.
The act of killing her, were it to happen, would probably not happen in Sigil, sure, but the Lady is Sigil. They are more or less the same theme, I think.

Zimrazim's picture
Factol

myth-weavers.com has/has had some Planescape campaigns as well.

BoGr Guide to Missile Combat:
1) Equip a bow or crossbow.
2) Roll a natural 1 on d20.
3) ?????
4) Profit!

Clueless's picture
Webmonkey

Themes probably shouldn't get tied down *too* heavily to a specific sub-sub-elements of the setting (that makes it really hard to slip articles submitted for issue1 into issue2 if you get swamped for #1) but they can still be really useful to consolidate efforts.

So something like a focus on "Planar cities", or "political games" or "The Inner planes" - that's wide enough that you can probably fit spare articles into another category down the line. You *want* to have a bit of a backlog, it'll see you through the lean issues where no one was in the mood to write.

Part of the hard task of a head editor is to go through, look at the list of what's in, and see what fits where, watch the page count, watch your backlog for the next issue, look for patterns where articles fit themes and don't fit... Some of that just can't be done at all until work is in, just by the nature of the thing.

Right now - we really gotta build a backlog so we're secure for issue 2, so a too-tight theme for this issue may actually be more harm than good. Ideally over time we can start working an issue in advance so we have one being finalized and the next planned.

sciborg2's picture
Factol

Perhaps the theme for Issue One could be the Cosmic Game - that way with Jem's permission we could add Surcease and Dolor which is a contest between guardinals and 'loths, have Killing the Lady of Pain as the feature, perhaps include an NPC who is a major planar player, and other articles could deal with the contests between elementals/gods/archfiends/archangels...

Clueless's picture
Webmonkey

Sound good - very general, so it'll be hard to get an article we *can't* use. And it's a reintroduction of a planar concept it's easy for players to get lost as they dig into things - it's a going back to basics. The idea that Sigil is ultimately just the means to the goal of overall influence on the planes.

sciborg2's picture
Factol

How do the rest of you feel about Cosmic Game as a first issue theme?

@Anerta - As Sigil is pretty much the grand prize for these competing forces, we could definitely have a lot of interaction with the Cage. Makes sense to have Sigil as a focal point leading in, as it is the defining location of PS.

Anetra's picture
Namer

Sounds good to me!

Zimrazim's picture
Factol

You could also plan each issue so that the dominant theme of a particular issue is X, but it's perfectly OK to have articles in the same issue that have nothing to do with X. As an example, take Dungeon #100. It features Lich-Queen's Beloved/ githyanki, but there's content in that issue that has nothing to do with either.

BoGr Guide to Missile Combat:
1) Equip a bow or crossbow.
2) Roll a natural 1 on d20.
3) ?????
4) Profit!

sciborg2's picture
Factol

@Zimrazim - Definitely agree. We should have certain features that are staples, that don't necessarily conform to the theme. But ideally we can have much of an issue revolve around a theme for coherence's sake.

We could also have portraits of planar NPCs/species of note (Grazz't, Shemeska, a modron, astral dragon, etc).

Thinking of the page in Fiendish Codex of Grazz't and Iggilwiv...

Clueless's picture
Webmonkey

I've added the taxonomies for Issue and for the columns - preliminary list based on what sort of articles I've heard everyone talking about so far.

sciborg2's picture
Factol

@Clueless: Thanks Clueless!

@Everyone: Are we good with Cosmic Game as the theme for the issue and Killing the Lady of Pain as the feature article?

Clueless's picture
Webmonkey

I'm good.

atomicb's picture
Namer

All sounds good - was just looking at Surcease and Dolor and it seems as if there's a nice connection to the theme there.

sciborg2's picture
Factol

Have to double check, but I believe Jem gave us permission to use Surcease and Dolor. So far we have the following possibilities:

Feature: Killing the Lady of Pain (unless there's a proposal for an alternative?)
DM Advice: DMing a Villain who knows his Fate

Should we put out an open call for articles with the Cosmic Game as a theme? I figure we can post the request on this page, the mailing list, the Planescape section of the boards, and the Planescape section of Piazza for starters.

Thoughts?

Clueless's picture
Webmonkey

What, asking me for permission? Eye-wink Go! Go forth and tell people we be makin' a fanzine and they should get their butts over here to help out!

sciborg2's picture
Factol

Put out the word at The Piazza, PS Mailing List, and Community Creative forums on Wizards.

sciborg2's picture
Factol

Just want to take a second and reconvene. I'm up for writing a few articles, wouldn't mind some help.

I suspect it might take until Issue 2 to get submissions going but thankfully there is always so much stuff in the forums to draw from.

We can include Surcease and Dolor as it fits the theme of the Cosmic Game. Beyond that some mechanics would be nice - I know Anerta has some conversions.

I'm up for trying to organize the Killing Lady article.

Perhaps a short article on the Cosmic Game - what that means to the Outer and Inner Planes.

Will try to organize/write an article on celestials as well.

Feature + 3 articles on Cosmic Game seem good, wouldn't mind more. Thoughts?

Anetra's picture
Namer

I have some conversions, and if none of them are suitable to the theme, I could convert something else.

Laying around at the moment, I have Pathfinder versions of:
- Kylie
- Prisine
- Sly Nye
- Black Marian
- Jemorille the Exile
- Shemeshka the Marauder
- A'kin

Off the top of my head, "COSMIC GAME" would seem to favour Jemorille, as he is Rilmani. However, it seems ... somehow undesirable to toss a single example of a creature into the book and ignore the whole rest of the race. If we feature Jemorille, I feel like we ought to include a set of Rilmani conversions to 4e/Pathfinder.

Next up would be Prisine, since she's a lady with some big plans, but ... though this issue does feature the How To Kill The Lady Of Pain topic, I feel like she should maybe be held back for something a little more Aoskar-centric? If we do something more Aoskar-centric? Regardless, she seems like a weird first choice.

All in all I feel like Kylie makes sense as "the first one to include," but I'm not sure how suitable she is to the theme, other than HAY I'M A TOUT LEMME SHOW YOU THINGS.

sciborg2's picture
Factol

@Anerta - would you want to write an article on roleplaying a villain that knows he is damned?

@Everyone - this is by no means my show, if you want to write an article speak up!

Anetra's picture
Namer

Agk-. Um. I can try! I don't know how insightful I am or can be, though. I'll see if I can come up with something decent.

sciborg2's picture
Factol

i plan on posting drafts for review, you can always do the same to get feedback.

Clueless's picture
Webmonkey

Drafts for review are a great idea. My only worry at the moment is that a lot of good ideas may be getting worked on on the forums and not quite making it to getting put in as an article (diffused responsibility suckith). We don't want potential writers completely blowing their energy on ideas in the forums and not having any left for the actual article submission.

We do have comment threads available for the article submissions! Once it goes in and the editors are looking at it, the commentary and help does continue so even half baked ideas are good to go in. Smiling

If an idea doesn't fit the theme for this issue, it may become the central idea for the next issue - so there's no reason to hold back, give us anything you've got. Smiling

Remember - we're aiming to release the work on Jan1st. That means we need to have art in by Dec 15th. Which means we need to have the articles in *and* edited by Dec 1st. Which means you have about a month.... Eye-wink

Clueless's picture
Webmonkey

Voting poll is open at: /content/pw-quarterlys-fanzine-final-name-choice

Let me know if I missed any names that I shouldn't have.

sciborg2's picture
Factol

Jem said we could use the Hedge Witch class as well - for a bit more crunch.

And we can utilize one of Kobold Avenger's Races in Sigil articles, which will sorta tie into the Cosmic Game as gods likely want representatives of their racial creations in the Cage.

Again, anyone who has an article definitely suggest it or submit it!

sciborg2's picture
Factol

@Anerta - I kind of like doing something with Prisine, and honestly this might be the issue to have something Aoskar centric that can tie in with the feature. The exact details about Aoskar and the Shattered Temple admittedly escape me...

sciborg2's picture
Factol

Another good article that was suggested was music to set the mood while DMing.

Clueless's picture
Webmonkey

@Jem We got the article Smiling
@ The Editors - you all should have an email now telling you the submission was put in. Let me know if that email didn't arrive so I can fix the notification rules.

atomicb's picture
Namer

Editorial notification seems to work just fine.

This issue probably warrants a short introduction concerning what Planescape actually is and why we're so damn fond of it, right?

sciborg2's picture
Factol

Yeah, I think an introduction to Planescape can tie into some stuff about the Cosmic Game - the goal to control reality. (Which incorporates saving souls, uncovering things like the Last Word, controlling Sigil, and converting others to your beliefs, shifting planar landscape to the plane of your alignment/element, trapping/killing your foes, etc.)

Or they could be two separate sections.

sciborg2's picture
Factol

Editor queue is working for me.

Any ideas on an interview candidate? (we don't have to have one)

Anetra's picture
Namer

sciborg2 wrote:
@Anerta - I kind of like doing something with Prisine, and honestly this might be the issue to have something Aoskar centric that can tie in with the feature. The exact details about Aoskar and the Shattered Temple admittedly escape me...
If we're going to do some Aoskar-centric stuff, perhaps we should include a couple sample modes of resurrecting him (in the vein of the article on Killing the Lady), information on his cult while he's dead (members, how it's "organized," what they get up to, where they are), and domains/symbol/favoured weapon/other important information, for Pathfinder and 4e, for games that take place with him alive.

sciborg2's picture
Factol

@Anerta - Sounds good, though I've forgotten just about everything dealing Aoskar. If you start a thread though I'll try to help. Also, do you want to do the Music on the Planes article? Totally up to you!

@Everyone - I'm a little concerned about art. Should we start putting out a call to the Deviant group now if we can finalize at least a couple articles ASAP? By finalize I don't mean done, but rather someone has stepped up to write it (with or without help).

I can definitely say we'll get Killing the Lady of Pain in there, as well as an article about the work of the celestials in promoting the Good.

(I realize others have offered to write up articles, but don't want to speak for anyone without their express permission.)

Anetra's picture
Namer

sciborg2 wrote:
@Anerta - Sounds good, though I've forgotten just about everything dealing Aoskar. If you start a thread though I'll try to help. Also, do you want to do the Music on the Planes article? Totally up to you!
Oh man, no, I don't feel like I'd be able to write an article on using music. I suggested it as a topic because I want to learn. :>

I'll start a thread on Aoskar.

sciborg2's picture
Factol

I was thinking, since the proposal for an article on Prime Worlds and the Cosmic Game is being worked on, might we also do a spotlight on the Planejammer Campaign that IIRC Loki runs?

sciborg2's picture
Factol

I'm going to submit an article on walking the parallel multiverses as well, as I can see it tying into the ramifications of the Killing the Lady of Pain article.

Also I think featuring Log X and Parallel Wheels is something I can guarantee every quarter, having already vested interest in both threads and gotten confirmation for some of their major contributors for use of content.

None of this is set in stone, I just want to make sure this thing gets out and is good quality. Anyone who feels these articles should not be wed as features to the zine, speak now (or later, no need to forever hold your peace). Eye-wink

Clueless's picture
Webmonkey

It's worth noting layout can probably reasonably handle max 30pgs in an issue, and reader exhaustion becomes an issue once articles get up to 6 pages or more (so it better be a scenario or something with clear divisions at that point). Kind of keep that in mind on article development. Smiling

sciborg2's picture
Factol

Yeah, I plan on cutting down that Lady article considerably. Just wanted to make sure I had enough material to slough off. I'm sort of hopeful that the topic is interesting enough, and that I drew in enough sources, that even if its on the long side people will read it.

Would people be opposed to splitting the Lady article across two issues? I don't mind just taking an axe to the article and making it a lot shorter, but I kind of like having the feature for the first two issues covered.

Clueless's picture
Webmonkey

Editor queue should be showing on the left now. It shows for everyone, I think only editors get to vote though so I'm going to add a note to that effect on the queue. Everyone can still comment I think?

Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.