GenCon 2005

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
edobrzel's picture
Namer
GenCon 2005

So who's going to GenCon Indy this year (2005)? The PW "lecture" session had amazing turnout in '03, but was pretty lite in '04.

Related, is there a plan to make and run an adventure this year?

Eco-Mono's picture
Namer
GenCon 2005

*sigh* Indy is too far away for me. I'm coming to SoCal though...

edobrzel's picture
Namer
GenCon 2005

"Eco-Mono" wrote:
*sigh* Indy is too far away for me. I'm coming to SoCal though...

I wish I could afford to go to both, and Origins too. But alas, Indy is only 4 1/2 hours drive, so that's the one I'm going to.

Zjelani's picture
Namer
GenCon 2005

Yep, I'm going.

As for the PW session, I think it would be a good idea, but we might want to consider trying to spin it differently if we want to bring in more people. If we just bill it as "Find out about the latest stuff with Planewalker", we'll get all of the regular Planewalker folks showing up, but probably no one new. And what we really want (in my opinion at least) is new people at this session to help PW grow.

Now I dunno if it's just in the wording (maybe pushing the "Planescape fan site" side more than the "Planewalker" *shrug*), or whether we want to convert it into more of a workshop/seminar rather than a lecture.

I'm just brainstorming here, but maybe we could have a few smaller workshops on a few of the more "sexy" sections. A workshop on the gith races, both outlining our ideas for them and seeing what others would like to see developed for them. Maybe Urban Planescape, or one where they group comes up with some new planar critters, or a dozen adventure hooks. Also Eric has discussed maybe doing a "House Rules" workshop. In each of them we can discuss PW in general for a few minutes and the submission process.

I dunno, just throwing out ideas. If the relevant section heads can't make it, though, I'm not sure I'd want to run something that focused without them. But we can see.

edobrzel's picture
Namer
GenCon 2005

Shouldn't you be working? Shouldn't I be working? Eye-wink

I think having a few PW-sponsored sowrkshops would be neat. Look at some of the threads that go on here, EN boards, email, etc. People have a lot to talk about. We'll want to be careful to structure the sessions so they don't become a Xaosman's dream. I still would like to have a session about the website, but I know that it interests a lot of people less than it interests me. I would think Urban Planescape would gather quiet a bit of attention. Running a UP gaming session or two might help (and vice versa).

Now I'm just "thinking aloud", but I wonder if we could make something for people to do that would get people's attention. "Something sexy" as Zjelani put it. The "Planewalker Idol" thread is also coming to mind. Or maybe we have some sort of contest. I don't know. It is hard to balance awareness, cheesyness, realism, etc.

jordarad's picture
Namer
GenCon 2005

I may hit Origins or Indy with a bud. Detroit is just a small jaunt, after all. I'd like to meet some folks in person and talk. He's a big PS fan as well. (Ryntheif)

Clueless's picture
Webmonkey
GenCon 2005

I'm planning on being there with Shemmie-I guess we need to decide *now* how much we'll be getting people in to chatter...

Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.