D-I-Y Deities: A Guide to Creating your own Pantheons by Stephen Kenson / Dragon # 283

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
michel andre's picture
Namer
D-I-Y Deities: A Guide to Creating your own Pantheons by Stephen Kenson / Dragon # 283

Who else loved this article? I thought it was well written and very creative. I enjoyed his inclusion and use of historical pantheons.

Concluding the article, he creates a new pantheon using D&D racial deities as the building blocks.

For all races, Moradin becomes the god of the forge, Yondalla becomes the goddess of the hearth, Garl Glittergod becomes the trickster god, Corellon Larethian becomes the god of the woodlands and Gruumsh becomes the god of violence. Next, he completes the new pantheon with deities of the sun, the moon, the sea, magic, thievery, nature, death, the sky/weather and love. Apollo, Artemis, Hermes, Poseidon and Aphrodite become templates for the divinities of the sun, moon, thievery/wealth, the sea and love respectively. Isis and Hecate are considered for the goddess of magic but she is N like Boccob. Hel is the basis for the goddess of death. Nature is represented by a neutral goddess to balance the chaotic-good god of forests. To balance alignments and genders, a lawful-neutral goddess of retribution is the last addition to the pantheon. Strangely, a lawful-evil god of tyranny is included but no deity of sky or weather.

I found this article inspirational. Did anyone else look at lesser or intermediate gods of historical pantheons and create their own mix & match pantheon?

sciborg2's picture
Factol
Re: D-I-Y Deities: A Guide to Creating your own Pantheons by ...

Going back to it now - I like it, but am too sleepy to really say more. Smiling

Will have more comments tomorrow.

Health Resources: Register family with 911 services, so providers will have info prior to emergency/disaster. Also mental health info & hotlines, articles, treatment assistance options, prescription assistance, special needs registries, legal aid, and more!

Palomides's picture
factotums

I haven't read the article but based on your sum-up, I did something somewhat similar in my campaign.

Inspired by real-world examples of one pantheon being co-opted/incorporated into that of another culture (e.g. the more peaceful Vanir gods in Norse mythology are believed by many to be a separate pantheon that was absorbed by the Norse to serve alongside their more bellicose gods); I had one of my major human religions incorporate (and twist) the pantheons of the dwarves and the elves.
In my system, the human religion has three major gods: a god of law, fire and creative endeavor; a neutral goddess of wild nature and fertility; and a chaotic god of the oceans. Each of these gods has underlings of a similar ethos (law/neutral/chaos - although ranging between good and evil) that handled related ventures (e.g. the sun god was obedient to the lawful god and had to obey an orderly daily pattern)

However, in the distant past, the inspiration for the lawful gods was the gods of the dwarven pantheon. While the human interpretation has twisted them over the eons, there is a kernel of shared inspiration and dwarves that convert to the human religion (or who worship with humans if no purely dwarven churches are available) will find parallels to the gods they know
Similarly, the elfin pantheon is more chaotic than the human interpretation but still, there is a lot of underlying parallels.

This also help me remove a lot of the clutter of having hundreds of gods with similar pantheons presiding over limited geographic areas. Sure an elf and a human might argue about what their god/goddess of the wilderness looks like, or whether the deity is a little more chaotic or neutral. But in my mind, the workings of the gods are so removed from mortals that this kind of misinterpretation is natural. But ultimately, there is one deity (for much of my campaign world) in charge of the forests.

This structure for the pantheon also allowed me to create what I felt was a more logical distribution of churches. When you have hundreds of gods, cities can get exceptionally cluttered with temples. In my set-up, a PC would worship at any church devoted to their religion. However, most churches lean a little towards one of the three major gods more than the others (and in large cities, there could be more than one church with more lawful worshippers going to one and more chaotic (or those more dependent on the sea for their living) going to another. There would be slight rivalries but in most cases, this wouldn't turn to religious persecution.
Similarly, if I want to drop in some new god without doing a full write-up with a detailed ethos and specialty priests, etc. and expect my PCs to remember it; I can use a shorthand and tell them "this is a shrine to the god of the marketplace who is a minion of the Neutral Goddess". This way the PCs only need to remember the names of three gods.
One of these minion gods can become more prominent/powerful if it catches my (or my PCs') imagination (always useful for a good villainous cult) and I can pepper in saints and demigods to fill in niches without too much difficulty or without expecting my PCs to memorize a Forgotten Realm accessory on the gods.

Similarly, the PC or NPC can worship a specific deity but still fall in with the orthodox view of the church. (For a real-world parallel, a person might consider a particular saint (or Buddha, etc.) as a personal partron/inspiration but still be faithful to the larger religious truth/dogma.
This works well for "evil" deities. For example, I have a minion goddess of disease who is viewed by the established church as an evil goddess forced to behave as an indifferent neutral goddess. Sure the worshippers should appease her to keep disease away and her crones/worshippers should be respected for the knowledge they have concerning herbal remedies; but usually, her wildly destructive side is kept in check bythe greater neutral goddess. Of course, one sect of worshippers might interpret the goddess of disease a bit differently and seek to unleash her full powers and plagues upon the world; but that what meddling PCs are made to prevent

Sorry, got a little off-topic towards the end; but I have found this method of grouping gods to be both inspiring and easier on my PCs to remember. Even if they visit an elfin or dwarven community, I can pull the old Roman trick of saying "The god they call Moradin is the one you call...". Sure this might cause the PCs to make assumptions about the dwarves' religious practices that might lead to difficulties, but to me that's a bonus

michel andre's picture
Namer

Has anyone ever used the Roman gods, Finnish gods or lesser titans in your DIY pantheons?

Has anyone updated these pantheons?

Hyena of Ice's picture
factotums

I've fiddled with the idea of Nyx and Ratri being aspects of the same being, even if it doesn't make sense.

For streamlining the Violet Dawn campaign setting (I've shown the creator Jeff Visgatis and he likes a lot of what I've done), I made the four elemental gods of that pantheon out as "adopted" children of Temulea so-to-speak, and as aspects of the four Elemental Lords (Kossuth, Istishia, Grumbar, Akadi). Part of what spawned this is that the term "Elemental Lords" is used in the Violet Dawn canon (but is left intentionally ambiguous), but more to the point, it is far easier to just make them aspects of the four elemental gods than it is to figure out where four more deities fit in the Elemental planes.

Oh, and just FYI, I''ve lost most of my focus on D&D stuff and have shifted to my obsession for Dragonball Z fanfiction (my interests tend to shift every few years), so I won't be adding much of my own creations for awhile. I'll still try to keep in touch, though.

Another major change I've made is adding the whole Protogenoi backstory, which also encorporated beings from the Faerunian and several other pantheons.

The Protogenoi are from Greco-Roman mythology, but the term is generic enough (lit. "first generation", as in first gen. of gods) to refer to all pantheons. Going with the themes in Greco-Roman myth and the similar Ogdoad in Egyptian myth, the Protogenoi were elemental beings (not just of the elements as we know them, but also elemental-like beings of like-- pure darkness, embodiments of celestial bodies, etc.) borne from the Ethereal and the Elemental Planes, back in the days before the Astral was fully formed. Though they were powers, they could not be classified as "Deities" or "Gods", because unlike true deities or gods, the Protogenoi do not require worship (though they do benefit from it), nor do they die if they are starved of worshippers or are forgotten by mortals. It was the Protogenoi who went to war with the Draeden over the spoil of the Outer Planes. This took place during a major schism between the Protogenoi-- most wanted to migrate to the Outer Planes after discovering the power of belief. The remainder found this unnecessary, as the Ethereal and Inner Planes already represented all, encompassed all, etc., including belief (to some degree). The war ended in a draw of course, with a total loss of 1/3rd the total number on both sides, and the remaining Draeden deciding to go into hibernation to outlive the powers. (I also wrote up that the Draeden were born during the final moments of the previous creation cycle, after the final death throes of the previous Multiverse, back when it was mostly an unformed void. So the Draeden thus believe they can likely survive the innevitable destruction of the current multiverse/creation cycle as well.) The Protogenoi were eventually overthrown as the dominant clan of powers by their spawn, the Titans, with the assistance of the Scaled and Draconic pantheons. Uranos's reason for being disgusted with his Titan children was not because they possessed a "grotesque" or aberrant appearance, but because they were repulsive creatures of flesh-- quivering, slimy, stinking, undulating flesh that seems to ooze strange fluids almost at random.

Of course, many Protogenoi still exist-- though many have long since assumed other forms.

I have an old list somewhere of some of the protogenoi...
Okay, here's the ones who still exist. Most are no longer technically Protogenoi, and the reason being that Protogenoi cannot benefit from belief and worship as effectively as an actual Deity. The Elemental Lords and Ptah lack a need for more effective worship power, as they acquire most of their power from the plane they reside on.

--Aether: The second-generation protogenos of light. He is the son of Nyx and Erebus.
--Akadi: The Elemental Lady of Air.
--Amun/Amaunet: One of the hermaphroditic Ogdoad, and Protogenos of creation and secrets. After suffering severe injuries in the Draeden War, he went on to become the Egyptian solar power Ra.
--Baccob/Al-Zarad: The current incarnation of a protogenos of balance and the laws of Greyspace (and the Multiverse).
--Beory: The earth Protogena of Oerth.
--Chauntea: The earth Protogena of Toril
--Chronus: A protogenos of time, not to be confused with the Titan Cronus.
--Eris: A protogena of discord, and the most powerful of Cacodemons (beings unleashed from Pandora's box). She is the virgin daughter of Nyx, borne asexually. Like her mother, she has also borne many children asexually, all of them cacodemons. She is one of the few Cacodemons to ever reach deity status.
--Gaea: The protogena of earth, and mother of the Titans. (she is often miscategorized as a Titaness, but she is actually a Protogena)
--Grumbar: The Elemental Lord of Earth.
--Hemera: The second-generation protogena of day, daughter of Nyx and Erebus.
--Istishia: The Elemental Lord of Water.
--Kossuth: The Elemental Lord of Fire.
--Liga: The first incarnation of Pelor, originally a 2nd generation Protogenos of neutral alignment. Pelor is the fifth incarnation of the deity.
--Lunitari: A third generation protogenoi of one of Krynn's moons.
--Nuitari: A third generation protogenoi of one of Krynn's moons.
--Nyx/Nox: A protogena of the night. She bore a few protogenoi with her brother Erebus, but also bore many cacodemons asexually.
--Oceanus: A second-generation protogenos of the sea. He would later side with the Titans against his own people.
--Ptah: The protogenos of creation, associated with Amun and Ra, though it is unknown if or when one came before or after the other, or what their exact relationship is.
--Selune: A third-generation protogena of Toril's moon.
--Shar: A third generation protogena of the new moon or dark side of the moon; she is the twin sister of Selune.
--Solinari: A third generation protogenoi of one of Krynn's moons.
--Tartarus: A protogenos of the dark pit. He was either slain or forced into a dormant state by the Draeden, and the remaining Protogenoi built the prison plane Carceri over his body. Whatever the case, his essence remains intact on that plane and is vaguely aware, though Erebus stole some of his divine power and subsumed his portfolio.

michel andre's picture
Namer

Gods of the Kavevala (Finnish Pantheon)

The pantheon really needs updating. Anyone else interested in these gods? Many of these deities could easily be included in a mix & match pantheon.

Deities of the Ocean:

• Ahti (or Ahto), the sea god; god of the depths and giver of fish.
  • Vellamo, the wife of Ahti, goddess of the sea, lakes and storms. From everything I read, she was an unfriendly goddess to humans; she preferred her mermaids, mermen and other people of the sea.
Deities of Agriculture:
  • Äkräs, the god of fertility and the protector of plants, especially the turnip.
  • Pekko (or Pellon Pekko), the god of crops, especially barley and brewing.
  • Pellervo (or Sampsa Pellervoinen), the god of harvest.
I think Pellervo would be the major god of agriculture and the leader of Pellonpekko and, especially, Akras.

Deities of Evil:
  • Hiisi, Originally meaning a ‘sacred grove‘, later meaning “goblin“; he was never even a deity!
  • Lempo, originally a fertility spirit, became synonymous with demon in the a later era.
  • Perkele, Originally a god of thunder, Perkele was demonized with the introduction of another, later monotheistic religion. He’s related to Baltic Perkunas and Norse Thor.
So Hiisi is out unless another deity took this name after its’ meaning was defiled. Lempo was possibly a god of Love; Perkele was a god of thunder and both were demonized by a conflict with another religion.

I don’t envision either Lempo or Perkele becoming the god of Evil (Hiisi) but I can see a conflict with another cult changing their alignments (similar to Ripvanwormer’s story with Aryaman becoming Druaga).

Deities of Death:

Tuoni, the personification of Death and Tuonetar, mistress of Tuonela (realm of the dead).

• Kivutar
  • Kiputyttö
  • Loviatar (Louhi)
  • Vammatar
Theses goddess are all daughters of Tuoni and Tuonetar and delight in diseases and pain. Kivutar may have simply been another name for Kiputytto (since both mean “pain girl” or something similar). Loviatar and Louhi were probably the same being; if you prefer, Louhi could be an avatar of Loviatar.

I envision them as non-good lesser goddesses of death but open to interpretation. She does not have to be a goddess of disease but she can punish with plagues; she can be the patron of poisons or venoms but not murder necessarily. Also, pain can take many forms (emotional suffering, toil, torture, illness, misfortune, and etcetera).

Several of these goddesses could be in the same pantheon with different roles. One could be simply the goddess of evil (replacing Hiisi; maybe he‘s revealed as her avatar); another could be the goddess of death like Hel; yet another the goddess of misfortune or disease or torture and murder. One could be the patron goddess of dark elves (death, venom) and another of gray dwarves (toil, doom). Laduguer and Lloth may not be happy but perhaps they are denied access to this world for some reason.

Deities of nature:

• Nyyrikki: the hunter god
  • Mielikki (Mimerkki): goddess of forests and the hunt
  • Tapio (Knikkano, Knippana, Tupio): the forest god
  • Tellervo, the goddess of the forest, daughter of Tapio and Mielikki.
  • Tuulikki, daughter of Tapio and Mielikki, goddess of animals.
Tellervo and Tuulikki may or may not be daughters of Tapio; they may simply be minor forest goddess associated with Tapio and Mielikki.

As has already been done with Mielikki, any of these deities could become a power over nature or hunting or forests or animals and a patron of druids or rangers or wild elves or nymphs.

Deities of the Air:

• Ilmarinen, the great smith, maker of heaven; the god of sky and weather. Originally a male spirit of air.
    I also envision him as the god of the forge and crafts. He could easily become a patron god to dwarves.

• Ukko ("old man") the god of the sky and thunder, related to Thor (Estonian Taara).
Deity of War:
  • Iku-Turso, a malevolent sea monster; probably same as Tursas.

• Tursas, the Tavastian god of war. May be same as the Norse Tyr and the Germanic Tîwaz.
The Spirit of Bear.

I'm not sure; requires more research. Perhaps s/he is in the Beastlands.

Palomides's picture
factotums

I think the main reason for indifference to new suggested pantheons is a lack of a "hook" that makes them unique. You can point out that the Summerian goddess of agriculture is called X and the Finnish goddess of agriculture is called Y; but aside from the names (and wearing the clothes of their culture), there isn't anything that makes them stand out as unique from any generic agricultural deity.

I know that a lot of this indifference is due to a limited awareness of other cultures (mea culpa); but whatever the cause, the end result is a "meh" reaction from most of the community. Greco-Roman has a plethora of legends and myths that are common knowledge (from a Eurocentric POV), so they come with a certain amount of evocative imagery. The Norse gods are fairly well known and play into the popular stereotypes of Viking culture to make them somewhat popular in DnD.

By contrast, what "hook" do the Finnish gods (or the -I believe- cultural similar Slavic gods) have that would make someone excited to use them in their campaign? The entire pantheon doesn't have to be given unique details, but at least one or two of them should have some twist that excites the imagination.
Alternatively, a general tone for the pantheon might make them more interesting: the Norse gods have a sense of doom and fatalism (due to the inevitable Ragnarok), the Chthulu "pantheon" is insane and evil, etc. Other pantheons might be mostly impish, or continually testing mortals, etc.
[I know that this might come across as insulting but the point isn't necessarily to create a historically/culturally authentic pantheon but one that makes game play more interesting]

P.S. But I do appreciate the effort you put into the details

sciborg2's picture
Factol

A long time ago I was trying to make interesting realms for each god and goddess - I think the variations on the themes of War/Cold/Death/etc can be expressed through realms.

I think another question that makes gods interesting is the family dynamic, and how it can differ from pantheon to pantheon. I do agree that oftentimes it seems to be a couple to a handful of gods that really have varied personalities.

It would be good to pick out one or two from a pantheon to start with, figure out the hook, and go from there.

But beyond that, I think one of the opportunities with varied mythological pantheons is for players to explore aspects of the RL historical culture where the pantheon originates.

Mind you, all this is a big task, but in little chunks it could be fun.

Health Resources: Register family with 911 services, so providers will have info prior to emergency/disaster. Also mental health info & hotlines, articles, treatment assistance options, prescription assistance, special needs registries, legal aid, and more!

Wicke's picture
factotums

What a lot of the big name patheons have is a lot of stories about how the gods of any particular pantheon interact with one another. I mean, the Greek or Norse gods would be a lot less interesting if we didn't hear the stories about how Zeus was a ladies man and how jealous Hera was because of that, or how Loki tricked Thor into dressing up as a woman and how Loki was the entire pantheon's scapegoat.

What stories about the Finnish gods make them stand out? What you've laid out is a good start, but I'm unfamiliar with the pantheon and how they relate to one another.

michel andre's picture
Namer

From www.godchecker.com:

Despite being a sparsely populated place, thick with forests and littered with lakes, Finland has been amazingly persistent and creative with its mythology.

For a mythology based on word-of-mouth tale-telling, Finland has better Godly documentation than some other places we could mention. The rambling epics of VAINAMOINEN, the Finnish folk hero, and the publishing of Kalevala, the Finnish folk bible, give intriguing glimpses of a mythology centered around trees, animals, natural forces... and more trees.

The Gods of Finland, although thin on the ground, are firm folksy favourites with spinners of spooky tales. When Christianity came and spread, Finnish mythology didn't turn a hair. It just mixed the two together with extra tales around the fire.

Outside the Kalevala, you will need good luck to find other sources to agree on who is a god or not.

I can tell that each god answers to no one else about his/her domain: Ahto, Pellervo, Tuoni, Tuonetar, Tapio, Ukko, Tursas and Otava (bear) are cheifs in their areas. Ukko may lead the pantheon but he can't tell Tapio what to do in his forest or Otava how her bears should behave. I am more intersted in the lesser gods (i.e. Kivutar) making their own ways in the worlds.

michel andre's picture
Namer

The Pantheon of Othrys

Undoubtedly, you are familiar with the Pantheon of Olympus (a.k.a. the Olympians); this is the Pantheon of Othrys (a.k.a. the Titans). Titans is a derogatory term and, in future, the gods and goddess prefer to be known as the deities of Othrys. Of course, the original powers of Othrys remain in Tarterus; the following are the later powers of the pantheon who mostly remained free.

(Except for Leto, all these powers recently fled the Olympian pantheon to Mount Othrys in Tarterus for no known reason. They are not prisoners. This event has caused much consternation in the Pantheon of Olympus.)

Divinities:

• ANCHIALE (Ankhiale)

A hearth goddess who represents the warmth of fire. She was the wife of Hecaterus, the god of the crafts and the forge.

• ASTERIA

A goddess who presides over astrology and nocturnal prophecy. She was the mother of the goddess Hecate.

• ASTRAEUS (Astraios)

The god of the stars and the art of astronomy; he is patron of the winds. He was the father of the three directional winds and the wandering stars (the Planets) by his wife Eos, the goddess of the dawn. He always appears as part-humanoid and part-equine.

• ATLAS

The god of astral navigation, the astral calendar and the revolution of the heavenly constellations.

• EOS

The goddess of the dawn. She was the mother of the wandering stars (that is, the planets) and the four directional winds by Astraeus.

• EPIMETHEUS

The god of afterthought. He was appointed with the task of creating the beasts of the earth, while his brother Prometheus was busy with the crafting of man. Epimetheus was tricked by Zeus into receiving Pandora, the first woman, and her jar of evils into the house of man.

• HECATE (Hekate)

The goddess of the ghosts, witchcraft and necromancy. She supported Zeus in the war and so retained all of her privileges. Who she supports now is unknown.

• HEKATERUS (Hekateros)

The god of the hands and his avatars of the metal-working Daktyloi (literally the Fingers). His wife is Anchiale, the goddess of the hearth.

• HELIUS (Helios)

The god of the sun who rode across the sky in a chariot drawn by four fiery, winged steeds.

• LETO

The demure, motherly goddess of celestial prophecy. She was the mother of the twin gods Apollo and Artemis by Zeus. She blessed her prophetic gifts on her son; she expresses a maternal interest in the portfolio of her daughter.

• MELISSEUS

The god of honey. He was one of the protectors of the infant Zeus. His daughters were the god's nurses. Of course, he is also a protector of bees and a patron of beekeepers.

• MENOETIUS (Menoitios)

The god of violent anger and rash action as his name would suggest. Zeus blasted him into Erebus with a thunderbolt, where he became a bondsman of King Hades.

• METIS

The goddess of good counsel. She was an ally of Zeus in the War who fed Cronus an elixir which forced him to disgorge his five devoured children. Later she was swallowed whole by Zeus who had learned that a son born of their union was destined to depose him. Their only child was instead a daughter, Athena, who sprang fully grown from her father's head. Unbeknownst to Zeus, she later escaped and joined the Titans in Tarterus.

• PALLAS

The god of war-craft and the military campaign season. Rumors say Athena defeated him in battle and crafted her aegis-cape from his goatish skin. He always appears as part-humanoid and part-hircine.

• PERSES

The god of destruction, and perhaps of summer droughts, whose name means "the destroyer." Like his daughter Hecate, he was probably associated with the dog-star: the source of scorching heat of mid-summer. He always appears as part-humanoid and part-canine.

• PROMETHEUS

The god of forethought and the creator and benefactor of man. He defied Zeus on several occasions, including tricking the gods out of the best share of the sacrificial meat, and stealing fire from heaven for the benefit of mankind.

• SELENE

The goddess of the moon.

• STYX

The goddess of oaths of allegiance and of the deadly, netherworld River Styx. She brought her children Victory, Rivalry, Force and Power to the side of Zeus at the start of the War. Zeus wonders whose side is she on now.

• SYCEUS (Sykeus)

A god who fled from Zeus in the course of their war against the gods. He was hidden by his mother in the earth in the guise of a fig tree or its sprouting seed. His long-term goal is to become a god of the forests.

Demigods:

• AURA

The goddess of the breezes. She was a virgin huntress reaped by the god Dionysos. An avatar of Artemis, she protects Lelantos (Leto’s avatar) and is his constant companion.

• LELANTOS

The god of the breezes of the air. His name means "the unnoticed" or "unseen one". An avatar of Leto, he serves in her stead in the Pantheon of Othrys. He is also a god of Celestial Prophecy and fulfills all the duties and obligations of Leto owed to the Pantheon of Orthys. He added the Air domains to his and Aura’s portfolios as he saw a need in the pantheon.

Palomides's picture
factotums

michel andre wrote:
I can tell that each god answers to no one else about his/her domain: Ahto, Pellervo, Tuoni, Tuonetar, Tapio, Ukko, Tursas and Otava (bear) are cheifs in their areas. Ukko may lead the pantheon but he can't tell Tapio what to do in his forest or Otava how her bears should behave. I am more intersted in the lesser gods (i.e. Kivutar) making their own ways in the worlds.

Extrapolating (a lot), the concept of a god (and his underlings) as a tribe that is interested in their own thing and running into opposition (or at least rivalry) with competing single deities or other godly "tribes" seems like a workable and unique idea.

I recall that the recorded Finnish epics deal more with heroes of the culture than the gods. But if you were to treat the gods as largely indifferent to mortals and more interested in making gains against a rival godly groups; then it would make sense that the focus of the literature is more on the heroes (who accually do something positive for mortals).

While I'm sure this is far from true Finnish lore, I could see the gods of the "sun tribe" thumping on their chests, challenging the "ocean tribe" and talking smack, and occasionally fighting (with unpleasant effects for the mortal world). To these gods, the mortals are just lesser tribes that aren't even worth more than a passing thought unless a hero rises from their midst and does something epic.
There might be some compassionate deities (e.g. agriculture, etc.) that might covertly help out the human tribes; but for the most part, the humans are are on their own and they just have to deal with the consequences of the boisterous conflicts and showboating of the godly "tribes"

I could also see this making a good piecemeal addition to a DIY pantheon. Perhaps the established god of fire, the hearth and practical use of fire has to deal with a chaotic tribe of fire deities that occasionally show up and cause mayhem (e.g. forest fires) in an effort to demonstrate that fire isn't some tamed tool made for mankind; it's a wild force that can't be bound by rules

I know that I'm going off the deep end with this and straying far from the facts; but these are some of the ideas that tickled my fancy based on what you wrote above.

michel andre's picture
Namer

To me, the lesser Gods of the Kalevala and the Pantheon of Othrys are far more intrinsically interesting the deities of Oerth or Krynn. While there is some historical background for those who are interested, the divinities can also be blank slates for a creative DM. I sometimes like to mildly suggest some story elements to inspire other's creativity.

I'd much rather adventure or plane-walk to a world where the major pantheon included Loviatar, Helios, Vellamo, Atlas, Nyyrikki, Boreas, Zephyros, Notos, Metis, Marsysas, Ilmarinen and Otava. Who would be enemies and allies? How would the Pantheon of Olympos react?

I envision the lesser powers of all historical pantheons approaching nascent worlds to learn which ones it favors (similar to Forgotten Realms). I see the leaders of the historical pantheons agreeing to this simply to prevent the rise of 10,000 pantheons! How many Father Skys and Mother Earths does the cosmos really need?

I don't know what “hook” to give my pantheons to make them interesting to others. This is why I post to this board: I hope feedback from others will inspire me.

michel andre's picture
Namer

Palomides wrote:
I know that I'm going off the deep end with this and straying far from the facts; but these are some of the ideas that tickled my fancy based on what you wrote above.

Go off the deep end anytime you wish. Your ideas are fantastic!!! Jawdropping!

Even with my limited writing ability, I could expand upon your excellent extrapolations.

Thanks!

Hyena of Ice's picture
factotums

STYX
The goddess of oaths of allegiance and of the deadly, netherworld River Styx. She brought her children Victory, Rivalry, Force and Power to the side of Zeus at the start of the War. Zeus wonders whose side is she on now.

Styx is a protogena, not a Titan.

Wicke's picture
factotums

Another thing to consider when developing a pantheon, at least within the context of Planescape, is which Outer Plane these gods might call home. Not every god in a pantheon is going to match up perfectly with the plane it's on. That's fine. Sometimes gods maintain personal realms outside of the main pantheon's realm. What you're looking for is overall trends and cultural cues.

For instance, I would be inclined to put the Finnish pantheon on the Outlands. I could draw some good parallels between them and the Celtic pantheon (which also focuses a lot on cultural heroes) They might fit on Ysgard, but overall, they don't seem to have a strong affinity for law/chaos. And neither do they strike me as being particularly good nor evil. They're mostly concerned with their own affairs and, keying off of Palomides' thoughts, they're more interested in competing against one another. Plus, on the Finnish mythology wiki page, where it talks about the structure of the world, there's a picture that looks suspiciously like the Spire. (It's supposed to be a tent pole that hold up the heavens.)

Hyena of Ice's picture
factotums

As far as the Violet Dawn pantheon, I placed them as originally being on the Outlands (towards Limbo, obviously) until Temulea went berserk. The location is solely because this was where Temulea chose his divine realm, however. Once he went nuts, Irunean rebuilt the divine realm and took his place. The rest of the pantheon made permanent residence in the divine realm of whichever deity gave them shelter from Temulea's wrath during his rampage (Though Karnn the beastlord might have his own realm on the Beastlands, and Verthax was always sort of separate from the rest of the pantheon, so he was neither subject to Temulea's wrath nor did he seek shelter, and he has his own divine realm, anyhow.)

And Andre, surely you would at least find Temulea and Verthax to be interesting deities. (from my topic on encorporating Violet Dawn setting into Planescape, hrre:
/forum/encorporating-inner-circles-violet-dawn...

--Temulea: Asleep/Dying. The creator god and father of the Avadnian pantheon. When he learned of the forbidden creation of the Sulwynarii and the imprisonment of a Mithu *noble/ascended mistji* by his children, he went into a rage. Only Krug was crazy enough to challenge him in this state, and was slain. This experience changed Temulea's alignment from CN to CE and he went into a deep slumber (much like Ulutiu) to escape his pain. However, even in this state, he continued to exert his will on his children and the inhabitants of Violetspace. His nightmares created The Void, a slightly Far-Realm-esque demiplane full of Far-Realm-like Xxyth, a race created by Temulea to undo his creation entirely. This led to the Xxyth Wars and the fall of Sulwynarii civilization. Temulea is currently in the Astral, slowly withering away. His divine realm was most likely on the Outlands, and at the time housed the other 13 gods minus Vérthax, Mnhill, Mrand'ith, Sha-Ul, and Sidoneous. This divine realm would have been badly damaged during the fight between Temulea and his children, anfd long-since repaired (but nowhere near as splendorous) by Irunean. Temulea's remaining children have long since scattered across the Outer Planes to carve out a divine realm of their own on a plane that better suits their alignment.
It is also worth mentioning that in the Planescape and regular D&D world, Temulea's origins stem from the Far Realm, but he was far more naturalized to the multiverse than most of the other Far-Realm powers who escaped during that time (such as Tharizdun, Ghaunadaur, The Patient One, and The Great Mother)

--Vérthax: The god of death and darkness; he is NE and dwells on the Gray Waste, probably on the first layer. Despite being NE, he despises the undead and deathless in the same way that Kelemvor does. As the only evil member of the Avadnian pantheon, he is often considered separate. In the Violet Dawn setting, Vérthax seeks vengeance on any who attempt to 'cheat' death-- namely the undead, deathless, and those brought back by resurrection magic *as well as the one who cast the spell*. Though not an issue within the Violet Dawn setting, in the PS setting he would also, by extension, be equally opposed to cyberization or any other means of greatly prolonging the lifespan of a mortal creature by altering its physiology or age.

Mask's picture
Namer

Palomides wrote:
I think the main reason for indifference to new suggested pantheons is a lack of a "hook" that makes them unique. You can point out that the Summerian goddess of agriculture is called X and the Finnish goddess of agriculture is called Y; but aside from the names (and wearing the clothes of their culture), there isn't anything that makes them stand out as unique from any generic agricultural deity.

Fantasy Flight Games' Dragonstar-Setting (D20) obviously faced the same problem when developing gods in their setting. It is a scifi-fantasy-crossover setting, that has to get some races and lots of planets covered. And they had to explain, why there are the same races on different planets.

So the common belief in their setting is:
There are only 12 different gods, which are worshipped by different names on different planets. Every other god is just an aspect of those 12.

Name (Alignment) - Domains
The Destroyer (CE) - Chaos, Destruction, Death, Evil, War
The Father (LG) - Good, Healing, Law, Knowledge, War
The Judge (LG) - Good, Destruction, Knowledge, Law, Protection
The Lover (NG) - Animal, Good, Healing, Protection, Water
The Magus (N) - Knowledge, Luck, Magic, Protection, Trickery
The Merchant (LN) - Knowledge, Law, Luck, Travel, Trickery
The Mother (CG) - Animal, Good, Earth, Protection, Plant
The Reaper (LE) - Death, Earth, Evil, Law, Trickery
The Stormlord (CN) - Air, Chaos, Destruction, Travel, Water
The Smith (N) - Fire, Knowledge, Magic, Strength, Water
The Trickster (CN) - Chaos, Knowledge, Luck, Magic, Trickery
The Warrior (LN) - Law, Luck, Magic, Strength, War

michel andre's picture
Namer

Far to the north, in the lands of snow and ice, fiery stars burn in the dark night, the aurora borealis plays about the sky like flaming spirits, and reindeer flee the wolves across the frozen tundra. On the harsh territory and across the steppe, the frigid winds howl. Here, in the land of the midnight sun, the Kalevalaiset make their home.

The Kalevalaiset are not a intensely powerful pantheon. Perhaps that’s because their followers do not focus on the prevalence of powers in their lives. Their people are not really active in the worship of their gods; they simply accept the powers as a given in their daily existence. They revere their powers but not as fervently as many other mortals. To them, it’s not a matter of faith; it’s just the way things are.

The Kalevaliset do not interfere much in the affairs of mortals. The powers keep to themselves unless a true crisis emerges. While not entirely indifferent to mortal plight, the gods have their own struggles: most with each other, some with other pantheons and, of course, with darker forces threatening creation. On the other hand, most of the heroes of Kalevala are touched with divine blood; so some interest is evident.

What the Kalevalaiset and their followers do revere are their heroes. Often, these heroes seemingly benefit mortals more than the gods themselves. To the Kalevalaiset, mortals are simply lesser beings that are not interesting enough to merit more than a passing thought unless a hero rises from their midst and does something larger-than-life. In fact, many/most of the Kalevalaiset are apotheosized heroes.

Adapted from Planescape: On hallowed ground
Adapted from Palomides (thanks!)

Kalevala means “Land of Heores”; Kalevalaiset means ‘inhabitants of the land of heroes” and refers, specifically, to the divinities of Kalevala. The Kalevalaset and their followers share a mild mutual disinterest. The exception to this rule is the heroes (read as: epic adventurers). Heroes, usually bards, are popular with both mortals and deities; their fates fascinate mortals and the divine are looking for recruits! This pantheon is small and turnover is high, especially at the demigod level, due to infighting, expansion, other pantheons and other menaces as well. Kavela is a land of primeval forests, marshes and winters; DMs should have no problem creating excitement in “The Land of Heroes”.

michel andre's picture
Namer

Ahtolaiset

Race: Deities
Title: Inhabitants of Ahtola

Names: Water People, People of the Foam & Billow, Wellamo's Eternal People

The "Ahtolaiset" are the deities associated with the water god Ahto and his domain Ahtola. They live in fountains, lakes and rivers. These divinities of the Seas were extremely vengeful spirits and disliked all of mankind. (Read as: if you’re of the aquatic subtype, you’re golden. Otherwise, these gods need to be avoided/placated. Use extreme caution if approaching.)

Ahto

Intermediate God
Title: God of Depths, God of the Waters, Giver of Fish

Names: Ahto, water-god, wave-host
Consort: Wellamo

Ahtio is the chief water god and chief of the depths. He lives at the bottom of the seas at his palace Ahtola. He rules fish; particularly the salmon, trout, whiting, perch, herring and white fish. As a god of the sea and of fishing, portrayed as a man with a handlebar moustache and beard of moss.

Wellamo

Lesser Goddess
Title: Hostess of the Waters, goddess of the sea, lakes and storms.

Names: Wellamo, Vellamo
Consort: Ahto

Wellamo is the hostess of the waters and called the "cold and cruel-hearted spouse" of Ahto. She is often pictured as a mermaid.

Iku-Turso

"Iku-Turso, son of Old-age, Ocean monster, manifested" -Kalevala Runo 42 "Capture of the Sampo"

Lesser God
Title: Water Deity

Iku-Turso ("the eternal Turso"; also known as Iku-Tursas, Iki-Tursas, Meritursas, Tursas, Turisas) is a malevolent sea monster.

His appearance remains unclear, but he is described with several epithets. It was sometimes said that he lived in Pohjola, but that may be because Pohjola was often perceived as the home of all evil.
Some runes tell that Meritursas partalainen makes pregnant the Maiden of Air (Ilman impi, Ilmatar). She later gave birth to Väinämöinen, which would make him a truly primeval creature. On the other hand, he is also mentioned as the son of Äijö (a name usually assigned to the God of sky).

He is mentioned as the god of war: Turisas voiton antoi sodast (Turisas brought victory in war). It has been suggested that the god in the list is same as the god of war Tyr or Tîwaz; however, this theory is not widely supported today. It is more likely that Tur(i)sas was the name of a disease-demon who shot sickness-inducing projectiles. On the other hand, it is conceivable that even some may have sometimes seen this spirit, who could bring decimating illnesses among the enemies, as a war-deity.

The Apotheosized:

Allotar

Demigoddess
Title: Wave Goddess

Koskenneiti

Demigoddess
Title: Goddess of the Cataract, Cataract Maiden

Melatar

Demigoddess
Title: Goddess of the Helm

(She has potential. As a goddess of ships and sailors, she would be more friendly than most Ahtolaiset; she'd at least be neutral.)

Wetehilien

Demigod
Names: Wetehilien, Vetehinen

Wetehilien is one of the darker Ahtolaiset. He is principally known for pulling young children into the depths, if they lean over bridge railings, docks or otherwise look into water surfaces to see their own reflection and touch the water. As a Näkki (a.k.a. Nix or Nixie), he is a fine example of a spirit enlisted by parents to guide children away from unsafe practices. Although a Näkki, he is also called Vesihiisi (water fey, see Hiisi).

Honorable Mention:

Satka

Demigoddess
another demigoddess of the sea.

Vedenemo

Demigoddess
Title: "mother of waters"

yet another demigoddess of water.

Ved-ava

Lesser Goddess

Names:Vete-ema and Veen emo

She is a water deity worshipped to several peoples traditionally dependent on fishing. She is also sometimes associated with fertility. She is generally depicted as a water creature resembling a mermaid, with long hair, large breasts, and the lower body of a fish complete with tail, and is sometimes said to play or sing, seducing humans with her music. Fishermen sacrificed to her the first of their catch and observed numerous taboos related to her while fishing. Seeing Ved-ava bodes ill, most often results in drowning. Some religious scholars regarded her as the spirit of a drowned person or simply as a personification of the water itself. Among the some of her followers, she is the Water Mother, ruler of the waters and their bounty. She is not Ahtolaiset (or Kalevalaiset) may be from the same pantheon as Maa-emæ.

Thanks to Molly Kalafut

michel andre's picture
Namer

Jumalaiset

Title: Inhabitants of Jumala (Thunder Home)

The "Jumalaiset" are the deities associated with the sky god Ukko and his domain Jumala. Most are distant from mankind and from each other. These celestial deities simply have more in common with each other than with other Kalevalaiset.

Ukko

"Then that Ukko, God on high, Paternal ruler of the skies, Held his court among the clouds, Gave clear council in assembly: Sprouted up a cloud from eastward, From the northwest raised another, Sent one also from the westward, Hastened others from the south. Then he pushed the clouds together Edge to edge in one great mass, Sent a misty rain from heaven, Sprinkled honey from the clouds Over all the sprouting seedlings Down upon the rustling crops. Then indeed a seedling rose, And the stump-moss grew out greenly From the soft soil of the ploughland Out of Väinämöinen's labor." -Runo 2, "The Sowing", Kalevala

Intermediate God
Title: God of sky, thunder and weather

Names: Ukko meaning "Old Man" or "Old Being", Ylijumala ("Overgod"), "Father of the Heavens", "God of the Breezes", "Golden King", "Great Sprit", "Leader of the Clouds", "Pivot of the Heavens", Shepherd of the Lamb-Clouds", "Silver Ruler of the Air", "The Thunderer"

Ukko is the highest and most important Finnish god. His presence is indicated by nature; thunder, lightning, sunshine, frost, snow, hail, ice, clouds, rain and wind. He is often shown with a chariot or sitting on a cloud in the sky. He is depicted with weapons, such as the copper/bronze arrows, boat-shaped stone axe and uses his hammer and sword to make lightning. He is notorious for not answering the prayers and calls that are directed to him.
Some suggest he is married to the mother earth, Maa-emæ but others suggest his wife is Akka; truthfully, he is married to neither.

Untamo

(Pronounced Oon-tah-mo)

"Spoke to Untamo, the dreamer: "Tell me now what you have dreamed Lying stretched out on the ground" -Runo 5, Kalevala

Lesser god
Title: Dreamer, Sprit of Sleep
Names: Untamo, Unto
Proxy: Uni

Untamo is a dreamer and the god of dreams and sleep. His personal abode is Untamola (Untola)

Ilmarinen

(Pronounced Il-mah-REE-nen)

"He's a smith extraordinary, The most skillful of all craftsmen, Who hammered out the vault of heaven, Forged the sky-lid there above us Without leaving mark of hammer Or a trace of tongs upon it." -Runo "Väinämöinen's Promise"

Lesser God
Title: Spirit of Air, Maker of Heaven, The great smith
Names: Ilmarinem, Ilmurinen, Seppo Ilmarinen

Ilmarinen, the maker of heaven and worker of metals, creates many fine things. His creations include the legendary Sampo, a woman made of gold and silver, a kantele (five-stringed harp), and even creates men and women. He was the one to subdue iron and first forged with steel.

Ilmatar

(Pronounced Il-mah-tar)

"She, the virgin of the air, Beautiful maiden. Nature's child...By the wind the maid was rocked, On a wave the maid was driven, Round about the blue sea surface, By the whirling whitecaps lifted, Where her womb the wind awakened, And the sea-foam impregnated." -Runo 1, Kalevala

Protogena (of air)
Title: Virgin Spirit of Air

Names: Ka’pe, Luonnotar

Ilmatar is called the the virgin spirit of air who gave form to the earth. She gives birth to the hero Väinämöinen after the wind during a storm impregnates her. She was pregnant with her son for 700 years before giving birth and during that time she gave the earth and water their forms and features. She spent much time submerged in water while giving birth to her son and later after he was born.

Otava

(Pronounced Oh-tah-vah)

"Tæhti and Ottava designate the Polar-star and the Great Bear respectively, as well as the deities of these bodies...Otso, the bear, according to Finnish mythology, was born on the shoulders of Otava" -Kalevala Preface (Crawford 1888)

Lesser Goddess
Title: Great Bear, Great Bear Of The Heavens
Names: Otava, Ottava

Otava is described as the Great Bear of the heavens. Otso the bear was reared on Otava's shoulders.

Kuu (Kun, Kootamoinen)

Intermediate God

Title: the Moon

Pæivæ (Pœivœ)

Intermediate God

Title: the Sun

There’s neither a god nor a goddess for either the Sun or the Moon; the celestial bodies themselves are worshipped as divinities. (see DRAGON #340 for really excellent articles on this topic!)

The Apotheosized:

Otso

"Otso was not born a beggar, Was not born among the rushes, Was not cradled in a manger; Honey-paw was born in ether, In the regions of the Moon-land, On the shoulders of Otava, With the daughters of creation" -Kalevala Runo 46

(Avatar or) Proxy of Ottava

Title: Bear of Finland, Bear of Pohjola, the spirit of bear

Otso, Ohto, Kontio, metsän kuningas (the king of the forest), and mesikämmen (honeypaws) are some of the many rarely uttered epithets for the spirit that was never directly named. Generally, the spirit of the bear was referred to as friend, brother, uncle, or forestcousin, or ways were thought up that would bypass the need to refer to the spirit at all, even indirectly.

Suvetar

Demigoddess
Title: Goddess of the South-Wind

Suvetar is the goddess of the south-wind. Her name comes from the word "suve" for "south" or "summer". She heals her sick followers with honey that she drops from the clouds and protects grazing herds.

Tæhti

Demigod
Title: Polar-Star
Names: Tæhti, Taehti

Tæhti rules the polar star (the axis of the sky dome).

Untar

Demigoddess
Title: Goddess of Mist and Fog
Names: Untar, Undutar, Ututytto

Untar is the deity of fog and mist, and lives in the highest regions of the heavens. She passes the mist through a silver sieve before sending it to earth. Her avatar or proxy is called Terhenetar, the daughter of the fog.

Väinämöinen

(Pronounced Vie-nuh-moy-nen)

"Then began his conjurations, Rose the rhythmic incantations; Recited origins in order, Wizard words in magic form." -About Väinämöinen in Runo 8, Kalevala

Demigod
Title: Demigod of poetry, music and magic
Names: Osmo, Osmoinen, Osnoinen, Suwantolainen, Väino, Vainamoinen, Væinæmainen, Väinämöinen, Vanemuine, Wainamoinen, Waino
Father: The Wind ?
Mother: Ilmatar

Väinämöinen is called a hero, wise man and a magic musician. He was born from Ilmatar ( spirit of the air) and the wind. His abode is named Vainola. He helped to grow trees and sow the fields with barley.

Honorable Mention:

Ahava

"Grab him, storm wind, Ahava" -Runo 10

Demigod
Title: West-Wind

Kuntar (Kuutar)

One of the “daughters” of the Moon. This “name” has been used many times before and will, undoubtedly, be used again. Usually, she becomes the “Goddess of the Moon” on another world (in another sphere) and joins another pantheon.

Paivatar (Päivätär)

Demigoddess
Paivatar is the demigoddess of day and/or of the summer.

Puhhuri

Demigod
Title: North-Wind

Sinetar

Demigoddess
Sinetar is the demigoddess of the blue sky.

Tahetar

Demigoddess
Tahetar is called the daughter of the stars

Tuletar (Tuuletar)

Demigoddess
Tuletar is a demigoddess of the winds.

michel andre's picture
Namer

Lintukotolainen

Title: dweller in the land of birds

The "Lintukotolainen " are the deities associated with the earth and agriculture. Earth was believed to be flat. At the edges of Earth was Lintukoto, "the home of the birds", a warm region in which birds lived during the winter. The Milky Way is called Linnunrata, "the path of the birds", because the birds were believed to move along it to Lintukoto and back.

Of all the Kalevalaiset, the divinities of this Lintukoto are the most friendly and helpful to their followers. Of course, this is setting the bar underground (pun intended); do not expect every farmer to be on a first name basis with one of these gods.

The dark of the Kalevalaiset is that this pantheon has no native earth goddess! It has a few earth gods and many aspiring earth goddess. Of course, you’d think this would be a great opportunity for an ambitious goddess. All she would have to do is establish a following under some portfolio, slowly add to her range from the Earth domains and, eventually, become a rising power in the pantheon. The problem with being an mother earth aspirant: the competition is numerous! It is difficult to vie with an established goddess of the earth even on other worlds in other spheres. If you want to see the dark side of the earth mother, try being the upstart luring away her faithful.

Maa-emæ

Intermediate Goddess
Title: Mother Earth

Names: Maa-emæ, Maanemo, Manemo, Maan-Eno, Mother Earth, Mother Of The Earth, Akka (Maderakka, Sarakka, Uksakka, Juksakka, Yambe-Akka, Jabme-akka )
Consort: Ukko

Maa-emæ is the earth goddess with great powers. Also known as Akka ("old lady"), she is thought of as the feminine counterpart of "Ukko" She is also thought to be married to Ukko but she is not. In fact, she is not a Kalevalaiset; she is from another pantheon. How the “earth mother” and “sky father” from different pantheons first met is their secret. For reasons known only to them, her pantheon is not discussed among the Kalevalaiset.

Pellervoinen

(Pronounced Peller-voy-nen)

"Pellervoinen, gnome of plow-land, Little Sampsa Pellervoinen, He's the boy to do the planting, Sow the seeds and sow them thickly." -Runo 2 of the Kalevala

Lesser God
Title: Sower of the Forests; God of harvest; patron of fertility rites and Summer

Names: Pellervoinen, Pellerwoinen, Sampsa, Sampsa Pellervoinen, Sampsa Pellerwoinen, Pellervo

Sampsa Pellervoinen helped to plant and sow the world after Väinämöinen's birth. He sowed upon the lands, swamps, barrens and pine groves and helped to plant trees. Sampsa is commonly described as a slender youth carrying either a bag or a basket around his neck. He appears as a god of fertility, who has to be ritually awakened every summer (when he is directly connected to old fertility rites). The Feast of Sampsa has been traditionally held in connection with the midsummer festivities

The Apotheosized:

Äkräs

Demigod
Title: Demigod of fertility; God of the turnip and a protector of vegetation

Names: Äkräs, Ägröi, Egres, Pyhä Äkräs (Holy Äkräs)

Äkräs, the god of fertility; He is also the god of turnip and the protector of beans, peas, cabbage, flax, and hemp. In other words, he’s a minor god working his way up (and doing a good job, too).

Pekko

Demigod
Title: God of the crops and patron of brewing

Names: Peko, Pekko, Pekka, Pellon Pekko (Peko of the Field), Pikne (Pitkne), Perkunas

Peko is an ancient god of crops (especially barley) and brewing. As the protector of the fields and brewer of the beer, he is a popular deity among the people.

Virokannas

Demigod
Title: Ruler of the Wilderness, God of Trees, Rye, Flax & Barley; god of the Honey-land.

Names: Virokann, Virokannas, Wirokannas, Green Robed Priest of the Forest, Palwoinen, Turi, Tuuri

Virokannas is described as a minor deity of the earth. He’s ambitious and may overextend himself if he is unwise. He would do well not to make enemies in the Lintukotolainen and the Tapiolaiset. He needs to make a change for the better or he could find himself entered in the dead book soon.

Honorable Mention (aspiring earth goddesses)

Kankahattaret

Demigoddess
Title: Goddess of Weaving

Kankahattaret is described as the goddess of weaving

Sinettaret

Demigoddess
Title: Goddess of Dyeing

Sinettaret is the demigoddesses of dyeing - as in "dye", not "die".

Sukkamieli

Demigoddess
Title: Goddess of Love

Sukkamieli is the demigoddess of love.

Suonetar

Demigoddess
Title: Goddess of Veins;

Names: Suonetar, Swonetar

Suonetar is the demigoddess of the veins. Barf!

michel andre's picture
Namer

Tapiolaiset (Mestolaiset)

Title: Inhabitants of Tapiola (Inhabitants of Mestola)

The "Tapiolaiset" or the “Mestolaiset” are the deities associated with the forest god Tapio and his domain Tapiola (also known as Mestola).

Tapio
(Pronounced Tah-pee-oh)

Intermediate God
Title: God of the Forest & Woodlands

Names: Knikkano, Knippana, Tapio, Tupio, Forest Friend, Gracious God of the Woodlands

Consort: Mielikki
Child: Nyrikki (son)

Tapio is the forest and woodland god that is described as tall and slender, with a coat of tree moss and a hat of fir-leaves who lives in Metsola.

Mielikki

"When the hunters were successful she was represented as beautiful and benignant, her hands glittering with gold and silver ornaments, wearing ear-rings and garlands of gold, with hair-bands silver-tinseled, on her forehead strings of pearls, and with blue stockings on her feet, and red strings in her shoes. But if the game-bag came back empty, she was described as a hateful, hideous thing, robed in untidy rags, and shod with straw."

Lesser Goddess
Title: Hostess of the Forest, Mother of the Woodland

Names: Mielikki, Mimerkki, Honey-Rich Mother of the Woodland, Hostess of the Glen & Forest

Consort: Tapio
Child: Nyrikki (son)

Mielikki is a goddess of the forests. She was praised when the hunt was successful and portrayed as hateful if the hunt was unsuccessful. She has the keys to the treasury of Metsola and has a chest of honey that feeds the forest deities. In lands where the forest was central to providing food through hunting, gathering and cattle grazing, it was thought very important to stay on her good side. She is also offered prayers by those who hunt small game and those who gather mushrooms and berries Mielikki is known as a skillful healer who heals the paws of animals who have escaped traps, helps chicks that have fallen from their nests and treats the wounds of wood grouses after their mating displays. She knows well the healing herbs and will also help humans if they know well enough to ask her for it. Some scholars suggest she may have once been a goddess of good fortune in the woodlands.

Nyrikki

Lesser God
Title: God of the Hunt

Names: Nyrikki
Father: Tapio
Mother: Mielikki

Nyrikki is a "tall and stately" forest deity that builds bridges over marshes and streams in forests that help herds navigate the woodlands. He also helps guide heroes to their favorite hunting grounds. He and his father are the only male woodland deities (and they like it that way).

The Apotheosized:

Sima-Suu

Demigodess

Names: Sima-suu, Honey Mouth

Sima-Suu is a "tiny" woodland deity whose name means "honey mouth". She plays on a honey-flute (sima-pilli) to help guide hunters.

Tellervo

Demigoddess

the goddess of the forest, “adopted” daughter of Tapio and Mielikki.

Tuulikki

Names: Tuullikki, Tulikki

Demigoddess

“adopted” daughter of Tapio and Mielikki, goddess of animals.

Honorable Mention:

Katejatar

Demigoddess

"Pine-tree daughter, Kateyatar" -Kalevala Runo 32

Names: Katejatar, Katayatar

Katejatar is described as the “daughter” of the Pine-Tree; she is probably an apotheosized dryad or druid.

Monjatar

Demigoddess

Monjatar is called the “daughter” of the Pine-tree. Yeah, another one!

Pilajatar

Demigoddess
Title: Goddess of the Mountain Ash

Names: Pilajatar, Pilayatar

Pilajatar is described as the daughter of the aspen, and servant of Tapio, the woodland god.

Tuametar

Demigoddess

Tuameter is the daughter of the Alder-tree.

michel andre's picture
Namer

Pohjolaiset

Title: Inhabitants of Pohjola

The "Pohjolaiset" are the deities associated with the infamous land of Pohjola. Scholars think of Pohjola as a purely abstract place, the source of evil — a foreboding, a forever cold land far in the north. Pohjola may or may not be a mobile demi-plane but, unfortunately, the land is all too real and volatile. Of all the Kalevalaiset, the Pohjolaiset are the most worrying and badly behaved. They are a band simply because no other faction in the Kalevalaiset wish to include them. These are the dark and vile gods. Beware!

The Apotheosized:

Ajattara

Demigoddess
Title: Goddess of Hidden Treasure and Serpents

Names: Aiatar, Ajattaro or Ajattara; Ajatar is also known as Aitvaras and Äi, Äijo or Äijattar.

Ajatar is a demigoddess known as "Devil of the Woods". It is an demigoddess that manifests as a snake or dragon. Ajatar is said to be the mother of devils. She spreads disease and pestilence (any that look at her become ill) and she suckles serpents. Truthfully, she is another apotheosized green dragon who murdered and succeeded Mammelainen, the hideously old goddess of hidden treasures and, also, the mother serpents. Ironically, Mamelainen had murderously succeeded Syojatar (Suoyatar), ancient mother of the serpent, after Syojatar had killed Aarni (the guardian of hidden treasures) to take his portfolio.

Hiisi
(Pronounced Hee-see)

"They were chanting Lapland runos, Howling out the hymns of Hiisi." -Runo 12

Demigoddess
Title: Queen of the Forest Goblins, "The Evil Principle"

Names: "Sacred Grove", Goblin, Hisi, Hiisi, Jutas, Juntas, Piru, Yutas

Hiisi is portrayed as a wicked demon or goblin and is blamed for many evils, diseases or misfortunes that befall mankind. The sorcerers of Lapland are accused of being "Hiisi's harpers". Truthfully, Hiisi was a title that was demonized in a conflict between the Kalevalaiset and a monotheistic cult; since then, it has been taken by several goblin chiefs and deities. The last Hiisi, the god of evil, was slain by some celestials while the current Hiisi was nearby and able succeed him. An apotheosized druid, she became the dark goddess of awe-inspiring nature who promotes all wicked beings (except those outside of nature like Aberrations and the Undead). Her abode is called Hiitola.

Louhi

(Pronounced Low-hee)

"Louhi, mistress of Pohjola, She the sparse-tooth dame of Northland" -Runo 7, "Väinämöinen's Promise"

Title: Mistress of Pohjola; Proxy of Loviatar

Names: Louhi, Loviatar, Ilpotar

Louhi is the hostess of the Northland who provides occasional help (and daughters as wives) to the heroes but then later causes a great deal of trouble. She makes heroes and gods go through ridiculously complicated trials in order to win her daughters for marriage. She incited Ilmarinen to forge the Sampo. In some stories she transfers her shape into various birds, including a hawk and a dove.

Lempo

Demigod

Lempo was the Finnish god of wilderness and archery. Other scholars have interpreted Lempo as a being of precarious love and/or a fertility spirit. Sadly, he was demonized in a conflict between the Kalevalaiset and a monotheistic cult. He apparently accepted this change and became a deity of passion and a patron of archers.

Perkele

Demigod

Name: Perkūnas, Pērkons, Perkūns, Parkuns, Percunis, Piarun, Peko or Pekolasõ and Perun.

Perkūnas is one of the most important deities in his pantheon (which is not the Kalevalaiset); he is the god of thunder, rain, mountains, oak trees and the sky. He was demonized with the introduction of a monotheistic religion and, oddly, a cult formed around these heresies. The cultists called him Perkele, a name stolen from Ukko, and worship him after destructive thunderstorms. Scholars agree is unlikely the original deity has anything to do with this cult and, probably, some unknown demigod seized an opportunity.

michel andre's picture
Namer

Tuonelaiset (Manalane)

Title: Inhabitants of Tuonela (Manala)

The "Tuonelaiset" (“Manalane“) are the deities associated with the death god Tuoni and his domain Tuonela (Manala). Tuoni and Tuonetar are quite content in their realm; their daughters are much more active in the Planes.

Tuonetar

Intermediate Goddess
Title: Hostess of Tuonela; goddess of the Underworld

She is the wife of Tuoni, with whom she rules over the Underworld, Tuonela. Also, when the dead arrive to their kingdom, they are their kind hosts and are delighted to offer their guests a tankard full of frogs and worms. She is known as the Virgin of Death and the goddess of the subterranean worlds.

Tuoni

(Pronounced Twah-nee)

Intermediate God
Title: God of Death

Names: Tuoni, Mana

Tuoni is the god of the underworld who lives in Tuonela (the land of the dead) with his wife and their frightful children. His wife was called "the good hostess" for providing her guests with all manner of disgusting fare to eat; including worms, toads, lizards and snakes.

Lowyatar

Lesser Goddess
Title: Maiden of Pain; formerly Mother Of The Plagues

Names: Loviatar, Lowyatar, Loveatar, Lovetar, Lovehetar, Louhetar, Louhiatar, Louhi

Proxy: Louhi, the matriarch of Pohjola, hostess of the Underworld.

Lowayatar was the blind daughter of Tuoni and is said to be the worst of them all. She had supposedly been impregnated by the East-Wind gave birth to the spirits of the nine most dreaded diseases (colic, pleurisy, fever, ulcer, plague, consumption, gout, sterility and cancer) but this is just hyperbole.
Long ago, she dropped the blindness from her eyes and disease domain from her portfolio and became known as the Maiden of Pain (not to be confused with the Lady although they both like knives)! Like her sisters, she is simply a mean-spirited goddess of death.

Vammatar

Lesser Goddess

Vammatar is the Finnish goddess of pain, disease, and/or suffering (other versions have her as more actively negative, the goddess of evil and misfortune). She is the daughter of Tuoni (god of the underworld) and Tuonetar (goddess of death). Her sisters are Kipu-Tyttö, Kivutar and Loviatar.

Kipu-Tyttö

Lesser Goddess

Names: Kiputytto, Kivutar

Sister of Vammatar and Loviatar, she lives in Tuonela. Her name translates as 'Pain Girl'. She was the Goddess of Illness and sang you to the final sleep. Unfortunately for her, Kipu-Tytto tried to establish a cult in a Foreign Realm was killed by another goddess to subsume her portfolio. Her surviving avatars, Kiputytto and Kivutar, have dropped the disease domain from their portfolios; although they and their sisters have no problem sending a plague as punishment. Like Loviatar and Vammatar, they are mean-spirited goddesses of death.

Surma

Title: Hound of the Underworld

Surma is a terrible beast, embodies sudden, violent death and guards the gates of the Tuonela to prevent escape. It is often described as being a large dog with a snake-tail and can turn you into stone (with a stare).

The Apotheosized:

Kalma

"To the end of Kalma's empire, Where the jaws of Death stand open, Where the head of Kalma lowers, Ready to devour the stranger" -Kalevala Runo 13 "

Demigoddess
Title: Demigoddess of Tombs

Kalma is the demigoddess of tombs who presides over the bodies of the dead until they disintegrate. She replaced her father, also called Kalma, who mysteriously entered the dead book himself. Kalma was once a title of Tuoni; he now bestows this title on a favored underling.

Tuoen Poika

Demigod
Title: God of the Red Cheeks

Names: Tuoen Poika, Tuonen Poika

He is an “adopted” son of Tuoni.

Thanks to Godchecker for Kipu-Tytto and Vammatar.

michel andre's picture
Namer

The Kalevalaiset: Designer Notes

First, I place all this in the public domain. In other words, use this if you so wish. Thanks to Molly Kalafut, Wikipedia, Godchecker (for Kipu-Tyttö and Vammatar), Hyena of Ice (for protogenoi), Wicke and, especially, Palomides. I am merely trying to provide an organized idea for others to build upon. Yes, I took some artistic license with some of the entries.

Q & A (in no particular order…)

Why is Ukko in charge? He’s not even a greater god!

Two reasons. Firstly, Ukko was chosen the diplomatic, public face of the Kalevalaiset with other pantheons only because he fit’s the stereotypical sky father chief god role. Secondly and truthfully, none of the others wanted to deal with Zeus, Odin, Enlil, Anu or the other pompous bores who head pantheons so they elected Ukko.

Hey, there are no greater gods! Why not?!?

I did not see how there could be greater gods yet; this small, obscure, struggling pantheon is still trying to find it’s way in the cosmos. I only know about this pantheon because I read Legends & Lore. Ukko, Ahto, Tuoni and Tapio may be on the verge of becoming greater gods; I leave that decision with the DMs.

The earth goddess is from another pantheon? That’s crazy/weird. Why did you do that?

The ancient Finns came into contact with other people and their religions. There was some crossover worship. I think it’s entirely plausible. I have no intention of writing up the other pantheons.

Where is the Kalevalaiset located in the planes?

For instance, I would be inclined to put the Finnish pantheon on the Outlands. I could draw some good parallels between them and the Celtic pantheon (which also focuses a lot on cultural heroes) They might fit on Ysgard, but overall, they don't seem to have a strong affinity for law/chaos. And neither do they strike me as being particularly good nor evil. They're mostly concerned with their own affairs and, keying off of Palomides' thoughts, they're more interested in competing against one another. Plus, on the Finnish mythology wiki page, where it talks about the structure of the world, there's a picture that looks suspiciously like the Spire. (It's supposed to be a tent pole that hold up the heavens.)
Sounds good to me. Thanks, Wicke .

Why did you organize the Kalevalaiset like this?

Actually, the gods of the Kalevala seem to unaffectedly organize themselves along geographical lines. Tapio’s clan, Tuoini’s clan, and Ahto’s clan were clearly established. The celestial gods, the maleficent gods and terrestrial gods have a far looser connection.

How did you come up with these weird names? Why are the Agriculture/Earth deities faction so different?

I started with Ahtolaiset and extrapolated. I do not speak Finnish language; I did the best I could.
From the beginning, I wanted to emphasize the difference of the agriculture and earth deities and the other factions. The Lintukotolainen are different because they care so much more about mortals. Lintukoto just jumped out at me!

Why did you include the Foreign Realms events as cannon?

I enjoy when mythology is updated! I feel it keeps it alive. I also think that this is exactly what the Kalevalaiset are actively pursuing when not fighting with each other. What Mielikki , Kiputyttö and Loviatar did on that single sphere world is what all these deities are trying to do: pump up their pantheon! They may not like each other but they need some allies.

What was the inspiration for all this?

Extrapolating (a lot), the concept of a god (and his underlings) as a tribe that is interested in their own thing and running into opposition (or at least rivalry) with competing single deities or other godly "tribes" seems like a workable and unique idea.
I recall that the recorded Finnish epics deal more with heroes of the culture than the gods. But if you were to treat the gods as largely indifferent to mortals and more interested in making gains against a rival godly groups; then it would make sense that the focus of the literature is more on the heroes (who accually do something positive for mortals).
While I'm sure this is far from true Finnish lore, I could see the gods of the "sun tribe" thumping on their chests, challenging the "ocean tribe" and talking smack, and occasionally fighting (with unpleasant effects for the mortal world). To these gods, the mortals are just lesser tribes that aren't even worth more than a passing thought unless a hero rises from their midst and does something epic.
There might be some compassionate deities (e.g. agriculture, etc.) that might covertly help out the human tribes; but for the most part, the humans are are on their own and they just have to deal with the consequences of the boisterous conflicts and showboating of the godly "tribes"
I could also see this making a good piecemeal addition to a DIY pantheon. Perhaps the established god of fire, the hearth and practical use of fire has to deal with a chaotic tribe of fire deities that occasionally show up and cause mayhem (e.g. forest fires) in an effort to demonstrate that fire isn't some tamed tool made for mankind; it's a wild force that can't be bound by rules
Thanks, Palomides

Palomides's picture
factotums

First off, you are very welcome as my contribution was very minor. You've put in a truly impressive amount of effort into fleshing out this pantheon and making them interesting. Its labors of love like this that keeps the life-blood of Planescape pumping

I'm impressed by the scope of your research (as I was certain you were just making up a lot of these names until I googled them and found out that I was wrong to doubt you) and most importantly, your efforts to introduce some roles/interactions that would make for interesting role-playing.

Hyena of Ice's picture
factotums

Actually, the gods of the Kalevala seem to unaffectedly organize themselves along geographical lines. Tapio’s clan, Tuoini’s clan, and Ahto’s clan were clearly established. The celestial gods, the maleficent gods and terrestrial gods have a far looser connection.[/b]

That's how the Greco-Roman pantheon is as well. There's the Ouranai (sky gods), the Cthonioi (underworld gods), the gods of the sea, the rustic gods, and the gods of agriculture.

Planeslord's picture
Namer

Well, I think Ukko,Tuoni e Ahti should be Greater gods;
The Linkutoko, the place of birds should be on Elysium,Tuonela should be on Hades, Pojola on Baator, Mestola on the Beastlands, Jumala on Celestia and Athola on Arborea(Aquallor); Kalevala, the neutral meeting ground, can be on the Outlands.
Akka and Ukko are definitly married, in the miths, why should not they be so?

The lady is dead, the wheel is mine, bow down to the Planes Lord!

Palomides's picture
factotums

Planeslord -
I can see the motivation for many of the placements but was curious about a few of them. This isn't a criticism so much as trying to understand your thought process

Pohjola (based on Wikipeadia) is a "forever cold land far in the north" and "the source of evil". So why do you think it should be placed in Baator as opposed to, say, Gehenna or the Wastes, etc.? Niflheim would be a good fit (IMO) and still keep things in the neutral range of the law/chaos axis (as M.E. placed them).

Similarly, did you have a reason for placing Jumala on Mt. Celestia aside from a loose connection between his domain over the skies and the mountainous terrain of Celestia?

Planeslord's picture
Namer

After saying that Cania seems perfect to home Pojola,and that Lohui,as a L/E witch-queen seems to me a perfet denizen for Baator, other that I already set Tuonela on Hades, I housed Jumala on Celestia because Ukko is represented as a responsable, righteous and fair god, and I see him as a L/G deity. This plus the connection with the clouds the Mont Celestia invoke make me do this placement. I see it like the Lawful/Good reply to Chaotic/Good Olympus.Gehenna and Bytopia could be an alternative,tought.

The lady is dead, the wheel is mine, bow down to the Planes Lord!

Quale's picture
Namer

From that article I once used the ''mix and match'' of making a pantheon for Sigil, picking the most popular powers, it had Loki, Prometheus. Oghma, Orcus etc.

Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.