2007 Donation Drive - Suggest ideas for budget

42 posts / 0 new
Last post
Zjelani's picture
Namer

In the 2006 Donation Drive thread, Kalidor asked what we're planning for 2007 and how much we need to raise. Well, between moving houses and being under a way fun deadline at work, I haven't talked to Clueless yet about that. But I'm sure she wouldn't mind me starting a thread on - "Well, what do YOU want?"
Are there any special things you would like Planewalker to do this year that might involve the need for some funds? T-shirts, buttons, dice bags, etc? Prizes for contests (and if so, what sort of reasonable prize would interest you)? Some sort of activity and/or official presence at Gen Con or another convention? Ads on sites or in magazines even???
To start off, rounding down (since I'm certainly willing to chip in even if I don't participate as much as I'd like), we need $100 this year for general hosting costs. Anything above that we want to aim for, I'll leave up to Clueless. However, consider the floor now open for suggestions!

Kalidor's picture
Namer
Ideas

I would like to see hooded sweatshirts, t-shirts, or dice bags. These are all items that the gamer community use regularly, and I feel these items would better expose Planescape to a larger audience. I would love to see something with the actual Plaescape logo, but this would probably encounter licensing/trademark issues with WotC/Hasbro. Something with the Lady of Pain would be nice, but this and other major characters would likely have the same problems as the logo.

Buttons generally don't last long and would see very little day-to-day use. These may be useful at a convention, but would probably be tossed and forgotten shortly thereafter. My preference is clearly for something that has more longevity to reflect the love(?) we have for the setting.

Grayson_Mournblade's picture
Namer

Heyhey,

I haven't checked on Planewalker for a while. It's terrific how this community is alive and kicking and puts out wonderful material (which I use in my campaigns). Being a student I'm not exactly rich, but where and how can I donate to give something back for the benefits I've reaped?

Cheers,

Gray

Krypter's picture
factotums

Hey Grayson,

If you're inclined to be generous there's a PayPal button on the left-hand side of the main page.

Myself, I'd like to have a tea mug with a picture of a hundred ratatosk building a Lady of Pain costume. It would make my morning. Every morning. Laughing out loud

Clueless's picture
Webmonkey

I'm personally fond of getting a "Got Mazed" shirt a la Primus's fanwork a few years ago. But I think we need to start checking into 1) our license allowments, and 2) the costs of such things over at someplace like Cafepress.

Kalidor's picture
Namer

Was there ever any clarification on the license allowments or the costs of the ideas pitched?

Darvon's picture
Namer

I'd completely buy a lady of pain coffee mug, something like the pscs dm screen but in mug form. Laughing out loud

Squaff's picture
Namer

Faction T-shirts, with images of factioners (or faction symbols) on one side and some faction quote on other could be nice.

One-eyed, one-horned, flying, purple people eater says: "Monsters are nature's way for keeping XPs fresh."

Bob the Efreet's picture
factotums

Quote:
Faction T-shirts, with images of factioners (or faction symbols) on one side and some faction quote on other could be nice.

That's a wonderful idea.

Pants of the North!

Duster's picture
Namer

Wow Squaff, I just remembered your T-shirt design for "Agram Dojo"

I still have the picture on the comp (and the shirt).
Anyways, T-shirts are a good idea.

Dhampire's picture
Namer

'Squaff' wrote:

That would be cool.

As would the same idea applied to coffee mugs.
(I never seem to have enough of those things)

As a professional businessman who occasionally sports a tie, tie tacks/pins would also be a purchase I would make.
Perhaps with Her Serenity's image?

Dicebags, while cool, most people have them already so, I doubt that should be considered heavily.

Bob the Efreet's picture
factotums

'Dhampire' wrote:
As a professional businessman who occasionally sports a tie, tie tacks/pins would also be a purchase I would make. Perhaps with Her Serenity's image?

Or a faction symbol, so you could show your allegiance?

Pants of the North!

Tarion'sCousin's picture
Namer

I would buy a nice t-shirt, dice bag, or coffee mug even if it just had "Planewalker.com" on it. However, I would prefer a cool pic (like Norse squirrels dressing up as the Lady) or a recognizable design (such as the Faction symbols).

What images are restricted for use by WotC? Can anyone draw the Lady of Pain and put it on items for sale?

P.S. If posters could link to the images they've mentioned, I would appreciate it. I would like to see this stuff.

Clueless's picture
Webmonkey

I'll answer at least partially (as Ken seems to be delayed on posting up some of the ideas he floated to me earlier this week *ahem* *hinthint Ken*)....

Re: WotC license and recognizable planar images - unfortunately as far as I know it comes down to a "Thou shall not." I believe the only way we could get away with it was to be giving items away for free. I'm not sure even pricing them at clearly non-profit levels from a place like cafe press where you're paying for Just the overhead of the items would do. Given some of the more draconian attitudes of WotC as of late I'm hesitant to push that line, though Ken may have a better idea on how we can do it - under parody laws perhaps? Perhaps our logo would work - it's derivative of the Lady but close enough...

So far the biggest requests have been:

1) Shirts of various flavors
2) Coffee mug
3) DM Screens (my suggestion as a usable items now that we got em..)
3) Pins and buttons

bonemage's picture
Namer

Perhaps we could have one t-shirt design and if you "donate" a certain level of cash you get a t-shirt. I mean even Something without the trademark Planescape stuff and just a Planewalker.com logo or title of some sort is something cool I would like. I haven't donated much in the past but I have donated small amounts twice I believe in the past and would certainly be willing to do it again.

weishan's picture
Factor

Are the faction symbols trademarked? I'd buy that. Or just something with the PW logo on it.

Kay
Kay's picture
Namer

If there is something I need nearly as much as coffee, than its coffee-mugs. Nevertheless shipping mugs over to Urop might be a bit.. expensive. But I think there are nice websites like spreadshirt.de/net and the like that offer ornament to almost anything from tshirt to mug (although they aren't cheap also).

A combination of devoted artist and not violating copyrights could provide everyone willing with a sample that can easily be used by anyone who wishes so. Things like the Planewalker.com logo are already available.

Movanic's picture
Namer

Ratatosk mugs! (or other PS critter)

I want a ratatosk mug! Preferably with a taunting quote with the same formating as on the site beside a giant acorn hurling ratatosk, with a "flying ratatosk" on the other side. All of this on a white background. Ah the dream!

Bazimem, the half-djinni's picture
Namer
animation stuff

I think you need some animation stuff 'ere.

Kalidor's picture
Namer

I liked the DM Screens that were posted. Any chance we could see those in print? Oh, and was there ever any resolution on trademarks/copyrights?

Kalidor's picture
Namer

Everyone seems to have forgotten this thread... especially since it is already well into 2008. Any plans for this year?

Clueless's picture
Webmonkey

I wouldn't hope for it. Our budget isn't *that* big unless you have well over a few thousand dollars to pay someone to create a short film.

Clueless's picture
Webmonkey

At this point for the majority of our planning - we're considering a move to GoDaddy for slightly more reliable support. I'm also gonna check with Ken and see if he really has the time to keep working closely with us and what our exact restrictions are for goodies. There's a number of things on the list I would love to do - including a run of custom Planescape dice from Chessex's custom dice program.

Planescape, Dungeons & Dragons, their logos, Wizards of the Coast, and the Wizards of the Coast logo are ©2008, Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro Inc. and used with permission.